Name of dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been making this dressing for lettuce for quite some time. My parents called it caesar dressing, although I'm pretty sure it's not. I've asked other cooks and none know of it. It tastes very good. Some of the quantities are estimated, so use whatever quantities you wish.

In a bowl, mix:

2-2.5 tbsp anchovy paste from a tube
1-1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil infused with sundried tomatoes
3 capfuls of lemon juice
3 tbsp dijon or regular mustard
2 tbsp garlic (if you like garlic)
2 tbsp lousiana bottled hot sauce
4 tbsp + worcestershire sauce

Using a large spoon, mix the dressing up. Tilt the bowl and using the back of the spoon, smear the dressing along the edges of the bowl, not to the top, around middleish to bottom. Let it settle for 5 minutes then toss in your lettuce. If desired, add in some bacon bits and grated parmesian cheese. My parents hate egg in their dressing, which is why it's not in there.

The mustard and anchovy paste helps "hold" the dressing and the oil gives some taste (if infused) and makes it easier to flow. The rest gives a nice combination of flavours. The anchovy paste's taste is noticable, although most people have no clue what it is. If it's spicy mustard, the hot sauce, garlic and lemon juice are a nice combination.

It's very similiar to a caesar dressing although the porportions are different. I love hot stuff but I don't add hot sauce to my caesar dressing, and I use less dijon/worcestershire. Maybe a little less garlic. I add coddled egg yolk.

No problem. It's best to make the dressing in the salad bowl you're using then toss in 1/2 the washed lettuce, mix it, toss in parmasien cheese, mix in remaining lettuce, add a little more cheese then bacon bits.

yup, it's a version of caesar.

i remember eating in a fauncy place in bermuda, and one of the special things they did was tableside ceasar salads and later, flambe' desserts.

for the salads, they made a big production by wheeling up a silver cart with a giant wooden bowl and all of the ingredients, and they'd mix the ingredients and toss the salad at your table.

it was the best caesar i've ever had. thanks for the recipe, kook. copying/pasting.
i've always wanted to make a fresh caesar dressing at home.

that, and the bananas foster. :pig:

Last edited:
That's close to our recipe for ceasar's ... take out the hot sauce and add egg yolk and parmesan cheese.

bucky, our recipe comes from a restaurant my in-laws love where they make the dressing at your table ... from what I've heard, quite impressive!

With this heat, we've been making them [ceasar salads] often!

IMO, not really that close to ceasar, as one of the hallmarks of ceasar dressing -- egg yolk -- is missing.

Also, I love anchovies, but 2 T of anchovy paste to 1 T of oil seems like way to much, even to me.

I make dressing similar to this (with difft. proportions) all the time and it is very tasty. But not ceasar.

jennyema, what are your proportions? We don't use the paste but rather a tin of anchovies that we smash ... it equals about 2 tbl. We actually use a little more oil than was stated here as well ... enough to make it a dressing. Also, I agree about the yolks - a must in the dressing (IMHO).

Isn't it funny how a standard dressing like this can have so many variations?

I never measure really but in general I use a 3/1 ratio of oil to acid and then add a bit more acid so it's more like 2.5/1.5. I usually add 1 smashed anchovy which is probably 1/2 of a teaspoon. Then I'll eat a few while finishing the dressing. A teaspoon of dijon mustard. A clove of garlic made into a paste. A hit of soy sauce. A hit of hot sauce. Some Penzey's Florida seasoned pepper, esp. if the acid is lemopn juice. If I want it really lemony, I'll use a very, very small amount of Boyjian lemon oil.

I will frequently leave out the hot sauce, depending on my mood.

I'll often add shallots or fresh herbs. Use lime juice and add cilantro. Add other Penzey's stuff, etc.

llvllagical_llkook said:
I've been making this dressing for lettuce for quite some time. My parents called it caesar dressing, although I'm pretty sure it's not. I've asked other cooks and none know of it. It tastes very good. Some of the quantities are estimated, so use whatever quantities you wish.

In a bowl, mix:

2-2.5 tbsp anchovy paste from a tube
1-1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil infused with sundried tomatoes
3 capfuls of lemon juice
3 tbsp dijon or regular mustard
2 tbsp garlic (if you like garlic)
2 tbsp lousiana bottled hot sauce
4 tbsp + worcestershire sauce

Using a large spoon, mix the dressing up. Tilt the bowl and using the back of the spoon, smear the dressing along the edges of the bowl, not to the top, around middleish to bottom. Let it settle for 5 minutes then toss in your lettuce. If desired, add in some bacon bits and grated parmesian cheese. My parents hate egg in their dressing, which is why it's not in there.

The mustard and anchovy paste helps "hold" the dressing and the oil gives some taste (if infused) and makes it easier to flow. The rest gives a nice combination of flavours. The anchovy paste's taste is noticable, although most people have no clue what it is. If it's spicy mustard, the hot sauce, garlic and lemon juice are a nice combination.
Your recipe isn't what I'm familiar with as an actual Caesar dressing. The one is make is close to the one Caesar Cardini prepared in his restaurant in Mexico. Here's a bit of history about this yummy recipe along with what is supposed to be Caesar's recipe.

Love Caesar salad. It's one of my all-time favorites.

JMediger said:
bucky, our recipe comes from a restaurant my in-laws love where they make the dressing at your table ... from what I've heard, quite impressive!

are you sure? i don't think i've ever eaten with your in-laws... :rolleyes: ;)

i love having stuff prepared or at least sliced/served tableside. salads and desserts, of course, but also some entrees like roasts of wild game or prime rib, and asian specialties like whole fish that is bathed in hot broth or oil and served.

agreed, btw, about the egg.

pytnplace, what is coddling an egg? is it safer than using raw eggs?

I don't use an egg coddler (?). What I do is simmer the egg for about 1 minute in the shell. The egg is soft enough to separate the yolk from the white. I saw Emeril do it once. It's supposed to be safer. Not sure about that though. I know that I feel a bit better about things when I coddle the egg.

If you are are food safety-conscious, like me, you need to use pasteurized eggs. Otherwise there is a big salmonella risk.

If you can't find them (I can't) coddle -- parcook them -- or even wholly cook them before using in the dressing.

jennyema said:
If you are are food safety-conscious, like me, you need to use pasteurized eggs. Otherwise there is a big salmonella risk.

Big salmonella risk? This is from the American Egg Board:

"The risk of getting a foodborne illness from eggs is very low. However, the nutrients that make eggs a high-quality food for humans are also a good growth medium for bacteria. In addition to food, bacteria also need moisture, a favorable temperature and time in order to multiply and increase the risk of illness. In the rare event that an egg contains bacteria, you can reduce the risk by proper chilling and eliminate it by proper cooking. When you handle eggs with care, they pose no greater food-safety risk than any other perishable food. The inside of an egg was once considered almost sterile. But, over recent years, the bacterium Salmonella enteritidis (Se) has been found inside a small number of eggs. Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small – 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years."

Back
Top Bottom