"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
lmao - I would love to have seen Julius Ceasur whipping up a salad

I will stop after this ... I promise! But "classically" caesar salad relies on yolks for flavor and texture. IMO whites alone don't do it for me. But I add extra anchovies so ther may be something wrong with me.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

No doubt wearing a 'pinny' over his toga? Olive oil is SOOO hard to remove from a woollen toga.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Ishbel -

jenny - no argument here except I would love for you to show/tell me where I can find this info. One thing you can say about be - if I'm going to be wrong I'm going to be sure about it! I just can't find anything that says yolks only - I have found coddled eggs (some call it boiled but I think they mean coddled) but nowhere can I find just the yolk. Like I said, no argument just like backup if I'm going to "re-educate" my friends!

In my searches for this I have found some gastly variations!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I usually make my dressing with anchovies, capers, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, eggs, Parmesan, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oh and lots of garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon. Is this basically the way you make yours? I know, I know, yolks only!

I at least have convinced my friends that this was NOT named after Julius Caesar!!!!! ......and some think it was named after Caesar Romero (I nipped that in the bud real quick! lol)

Thanks for your info jenny - I will look forward to reading it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

Caesar Romero -- was the the Joker? He was some kind of bad guy, right?

I will find info for you. But I should clarify that I am not saying that you can't use a whole egg. My point is that you need the yolk because that is what makes the dressing creamy and helps emulsify it (as well as for taste, which is how this whole thing started ). So you can use a whole egg or egg yolks but not just the white.

But I will find info on why you need the yolk from somewhere and someone somewhat authoritative. It may be at home though and I am at "work" right now. I seem to recall Lidia saying something about it (i use her recipe) but that would be in the book at home.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I agree there needs to be yolk, I am under the assumption though that the original recipe included the whole egg - versus just the yolk. That's what I'm talking about.

Ceasar Romero = jokster - yes! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Well, I made my caesar dressing and I would like to say that there was no eggy flavor this time and I didn't change a thing. Very tasty!

Maybe it was something wrong that I did last time.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:14 PM   #17
Master Chef

It'll be a great salad, just call it something else. When you tell people you're feeding them a caesar, they have certain expectations: Romaine, olive oil, worchestershire or anchovy, garlic, croutons, parm. Nowadays, most people are cautious on the egg front (and I, too, cook for folk who may not be able to eat less than fully cooked egg). But when you REALLY deviate, just give it another name and make it your own. The last time I ordered a caesar salad (and thanks, Barbara, that's the story I was told as well) it had blue cheese, bacon, ham, and a lot of other ingredients in it, then they asked me what kind of dressing I wanted on it. Huh? It was a good salad, but not a caesar salad. If you're deviating a lot, then go for it, and then give it a new name. The other greens will be delicious, especially if that is what is best. Just .... rename it!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I've had to make Caesar dressing at both of the country clubs I've worked at.

The first one, the recipe called for 30 egg yolks (recipe yielded nearly 5 gallons). It also had red wine vinegar, anchovies, vegetable oil, lots of garlic, seasonings, worcestershire, etc.

The second recipe, the one I have to make now, calls for 2 qt of whole liquid eggs (recipe yields 4 gallons). It also has vinegar (can't remember which right now), anchovies, garlic, seasoning salt, and other stuff.

Tags
None