"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 05-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
I'd go to Costco and get boxes of the mesclun mix and put out with assorted dressings as someone else suggested. You have plenty of food.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
I don't remember if I've already put this recipe in forum. If so, please, excuse me, but it's one that I like particularly.
Piemontese Salad
In proportion: 1 apple (I use the yellow ones), 1 medium white onion, 6 under oil anchovies fillets. Olive oil.
Slice very thiny the apple and onion, cut in pieces the anchovies, Add oil and just a bit of salt more: anchovies are already salted.... Used as appetizer.

RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
WOW, I am overwhelmed by all the help. Thanks to all of you!!! I agree, I totally forgot the slaw. On the list now.

Aunt Dot, the size of clams in this area run; little necks, top necks, cherrystones, chowders etc. The little necks are very small and used by some for steamers. I prefer the top neck clam which is about the size of a silver dollar so to speak.
BBQ COP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
Master Chef
This is a great slaw to go with a spread like you're fixing. It's spicy and delicious, and you don't have to worry about it spoiling. I've made it several times, and it's always a hit. Thank you Dailyrecipes!

North Carolina Style Slaw
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by BBQ COP
Having a large party June 3rd for my daughter's college graduation. I am having 100 people attending. Looking for a salad for this large group. Looking for more then a plain salad. We are having Roast Pig, with italian seasoning,60 lbs steamed shrimp, 1200 top neck clams, Roast beef, Pot and Mac salad etc. Any help would be appreciated. Something classy, good, and that all would enjoy. Thank you for your time and attention in advance.
Yikes. Lost my whole post/reply. Do you have a particular theme/cuisine in mind?

Looks like you will have a variety of food - pork/beef/shrimp/clams etc., so I would keep it simple and ingreds to compliment the dishes rather than overpower them.

Layered salads are festive and make a nice presentation in clear trifle bowls.

Couscous salad. Instant couscous takes about five minutes to prepare, and you can add in fruit (mangos etc) or veggies.

Spinach salad

Carrot Raisin salad - Posted the recipe on this site?

Cobb salad

Mediterranean rice salad - Have the recipe, if you're interested.

Here are some more ideas:

You can adjust the amount of servings

Cucumber Dill Salad
Serving Size : 4

4 cucumbers
Salt, to taste
3 garlic cloves
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. minced fresh dill
Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers, then place the slices on a flat plate. Salt lightly and tilt the plate so that excess water will drain off easily. Let stand for about 1 hour.

Pass the garlic cloves through a garlic press into a small bowl. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and white pepper and stir until well mixed. Add the olive oil and stir vigorously until blended.

Place the drained cucumber slices in a salad bowl, pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry, then serve. Add sliced onions and serve on a bed of greens.

Spinach Mandarin Orange Salad
Serving Size : 4

1/2 pound Spinach or mixed greens
1 can (11 or 15 oz.) Mandarin Oranges, drained
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup sliced Red Onion
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Combine spinach, mandarin oranges, olives and onion in large serving bowl. Pour vinaigrette over salad; toss to evenly coat. Top with feta cheese.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Executive Chef
with what you describe, I would have 3 salad types...one a classic cole slaw because it will complement your menu so well. (I like to spice mine up so a little hot sauce goes into my dressing...another trick is to use crab boil seasoning in your dressing). I would have cut raw veggies (lots of types) and several dipping dressings: ranch, pepper parmesan, creamy caesar, french. Finally I would have a bowl of romaine...ready to dress as people want...from the above list or with the cole slaw.

Left overs will keep: roamine for a day or so, the veggies can be used in soups, stews and stir fries, and the cole slaw for awhile too if chilled.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef
One of the things I like about this forum is the exchange of ideas/recipes/thoughts. Can we talk? Personally, cole slaw, screams bbq, to me - hot dogs and burgers. imo, I wouldn't serve cole slaw with shrimp, clams, roast pig, roast beef & all the fancy fixin's as a classy salad. I would keep it simple to go with all the dishes you already have. Will there be any side veggie dishes? Is there a theme? Have a great party. Sounds delish.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Master Chef
Mish; I love your salad ideas but have to dissagree on the cole slaw. Cole slaw has similar flavor componants to horseradish, which goes exceptionally well with both the roast pork and beef, expecially when they have the added smoke flavor from a barbecue. The cole slaw has to have a ballance of both sweeteness and heat (from the cabbage and onion). A little horseradish or wasabi could be added to the slaw to further complement the savory meats.

Of course a good bunch of romaine lettuce and baby spinach, perhaps with a fruity vinaigarette would also serve to compliment the meal. And I would add some type of sweet potato dish, preferably sweetened with maple syrup after being baked on a covered grill, skin-on.

I guess it just depends on what we are used to at outdoor gatherings. And I agree, that not every cole slaw would work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
Cole slaw may not be "classy" but it is the "classic" salad to serve with this meal. More important even than "classy"--the proper pairing.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #20
Head Chef
This one is different and classy. Make copies of the recipe to hand out when people ask you for it - they always do! The Ramen noodles and almonds MAKE it!

California Chinese Cole Slaw

1 head grated cabbage

1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, broken into pieces (uncooked)
(I discard the seasoning packet, but you can use it in the dressing, if you want)
1pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

1 cup oil ½ cup sugar
6 T. Chinese white vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.

To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote