Need salad ideas help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ COP

Assistant Cook
Having a large party June 3rd for my daughter's college graduation. I am having 100 people attending. Looking for a salad for this large group. Looking for more then a plain salad. We are having Roast Pig,:pig: with italian seasoning,60 lbs steamed shrimp, 1200 top neck clams, Roast beef, Pot and Mac salad etc. Any help would be appreciated. Something classy, good, and that all would enjoy. Thank you for your time and attention in advance.

Do you have a good stand mixer such as Kitchen-Aid or equivalent. If so, purchase a bunch of pre-shreded cabbage and grated carrot (cole slaw mix) at your local warehouse market (Costco, Sam's Choice, etc). Also purchase a very large bottle of Miracle whip, and several onions. Peel the onions and place in your food processor with the cutting blade. Pulse a couple times to pulverize the onion. Place the shredded lettuce into the large mixer bowl along with the Miracle Whip at a ratio of about 3 parts cabbage to 1 part salad dressing. Add about half of the onion. Use the paddle bit with your mixer to combine the ingredients. Taste. Add more onion until after mixing, it bcomes part of the flavor. Add enough ice water to the cole slaw to make it very moist. Add sugar to taste. You can also mix in raisons, and/or pineapple chunks, and/or apple chunks, and/or pecan or walnut pieces to this mixture if desired.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A party salad that I think is fun and tasty is a your favorite salad, either Cesar or Italian or whatever you are feeling like. You make the salad make sure to chop the lettuce up really well at your favorites but make sure to chop everything rather small because we are not going to put the salad in a plate but on a romaine lettuce leaf to serve it.

diverse taste

Truthfully for a large group I would keep the salad plain but build a small salad bar around it. Give the choice of a few different dressings because the you also address those who have a restricted diet. Use a salad set of a large bowls and small ones to create a small salad bar.

I am with Goodweed on this.

Sounds like the meal is crying for slaw.

Never heard of steamers being called top neck clams, and grew up in the region.

Well, you learn something new everyday.

Enjoy.

sorry meant to say also put cheeses like feta or crumbled blue,olives,peppers ,onions etc.give the choice of 3 dressings and of course oil and vinegar.

Shrimp Salad

Take some of your steamed shrimp
large bag of shell macaroni (boiled)
miracle whip
green onions
tony Z's Cajun' seasoning
lemon juice

Cut up your shrimp and mix into cold cooked macaroni. Add chopped green onions,Seasonings and miracle whip (enough to give it a smoothe consistancy)
Add salt, cracked pepper and lemon juice. Mix real well. Cover and put in the fridge to continue chilling (like potato salad). Adding alot of the tony Z's will gives it a spicy taste.....MMmmmmmmmmmmm Good!

Salad

Certainly does sound like your meal needs something cold, sweet/sour and crunchy. I like the idea of multipule crudeties (sp). With dips. Lots of choices for guests and not a lot of work for you.:angel:

It doesn't have lettuce, but it's still good.

I founnd this recipe at Allrecipes.com, I might even throw some tomatoes in the recipe as well. Hope this helps, Good Luck.
Seafood Salad Supreme
print_logo.gif
Submitted by: Michelle Dennis
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 19 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings "Shrimp and crabmeat, mixed with seashell pasta, red pepper, and mozzarella cheese, to form a delicious salad that everyone will enjoy."
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled
and deveined
1 pound crabmeat
1 (8 ounce) package seashell
pasta
2 strips celery, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella
cheese
1/4 cup slivered, toasted
almonds
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon
juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh
parsley
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay
Seasoning TM
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]DIRECTIONS:[/FONT]
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute shrimp until pink. Add crabmeat and cook one more minute or until heated through. Set aside. 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. 3. Transfer the shrimp and crabmeat to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in pasta, celery, bell pepper and green onion. Add mozzarella cheese, slivered toasted almonds, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with parsley, and old bay seasoning. Toss to mix thoroughly. 4. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

I'd go to Costco and get boxes of the mesclun mix and put out with assorted dressings as someone else suggested. You have plenty of food.

I don't remember if I've already put this recipe in forum. If so, please, excuse me, but it's one that I like particularly.
Piemontese Salad
In proportion: 1 apple (I use the yellow ones), 1 medium white onion, 6 under oil anchovies fillets. Olive oil.
Slice very thiny the apple and onion, cut in pieces the anchovies, Add oil and just a bit of salt more: anchovies are already salted.... Used as appetizer.

WOW, I am overwhelmed by all the help. Thanks to all of you!!! I agree, I totally forgot the slaw. On the list now.

Aunt Dot, the size of clams in this area run; little necks, top necks, cherrystones, chowders etc. The little necks are very small and used by some for steamers. I prefer the top neck clam which is about the size of a silver dollar so to speak.

BBQ COP said:
Having a large party June 3rd for my daughter's college graduation. I am having 100 people attending. Looking for a salad for this large group. Looking for more then a plain salad. We are having Roast Pig,:pig: with italian seasoning,60 lbs steamed shrimp, 1200 top neck clams, Roast beef, Pot and Mac salad etc. Any help would be appreciated. Something classy, good, and that all would enjoy. Thank you for your time and attention in advance.

Yikes. Lost my whole post/reply. Do you have a particular theme/cuisine in mind?

Looks like you will have a variety of food - pork/beef/shrimp/clams etc., so I would keep it simple and ingreds to compliment the dishes rather than overpower them.

Layered salads are festive and make a nice presentation in clear trifle bowls.

Couscous salad. Instant couscous takes about five minutes to prepare, and you can add in fruit (mangos etc) or veggies.

Spinach salad

Carrot Raisin salad - Posted the recipe on this site?

Cobb salad

Mediterranean rice salad - Have the recipe, if you're interested.

Here are some more ideas:

http://www.recipecenter.com/Recipe.asp?Code=280233
You can adjust the amount of servings

http://www.eggs.ab.ca/recipes/salads/layeredcobbsalad.html

http://www.hannaford.com/Contents/All_About_Food/Recipes/Soups_Salads/layered_vinaigrette_salad.shtml

Cucumber Dill Salad
Serving Size : 4

4 cucumbers
Salt, to taste
3 garlic cloves
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. minced fresh dill
Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers, then place the slices on a flat plate. Salt lightly and tilt the plate so that excess water will drain off easily. Let stand for about 1 hour.

Pass the garlic cloves through a garlic press into a small bowl. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and white pepper and stir until well mixed. Add the olive oil and stir vigorously until blended.

Place the drained cucumber slices in a salad bowl, pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry, then serve. Add sliced onions and serve on a bed of greens.

Spinach Mandarin Orange Salad
Serving Size : 4

1/2 pound Spinach or mixed greens
1 can (11 or 15 oz.) Mandarin Oranges, drained
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup sliced Red Onion
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Combine spinach, mandarin oranges, olives and onion in large serving bowl. Pour vinaigrette over salad; toss to evenly coat. Top with feta cheese.

with what you describe, I would have 3 salad types...one a classic cole slaw because it will complement your menu so well. (I like to spice mine up so a little hot sauce goes into my dressing...another trick is to use crab boil seasoning in your dressing). I would have cut raw veggies (lots of types) and several dipping dressings: ranch, pepper parmesan, creamy caesar, french. Finally I would have a bowl of romaine...ready to dress as people want...from the above list or with the cole slaw.

Left overs will keep: roamine for a day or so, the veggies can be used in soups, stews and stir fries, and the cole slaw for awhile too if chilled.

One of the things I like about this forum is the exchange of ideas/recipes/thoughts. Can we talk? Personally, cole slaw, screams bbq, to me - hot dogs and burgers. imo, I wouldn't serve cole slaw with shrimp, clams, roast pig, roast beef & all the fancy fixin's as a classy salad. I would keep it simple to go with all the dishes you already have. Will there be any side veggie dishes? Is there a theme? Have a great party. Sounds delish. :chef:

Last edited:
Mish; I love your salad ideas but have to dissagree on the cole slaw. Cole slaw has similar flavor componants to horseradish, which goes exceptionally well with both the roast pork and beef, expecially when they have the added smoke flavor from a barbecue. The cole slaw has to have a ballance of both sweeteness and heat (from the cabbage and onion). A little horseradish or wasabi could be added to the slaw to further complement the savory meats.

Of course a good bunch of romaine lettuce and baby spinach, perhaps with a fruity vinaigarette would also serve to compliment the meal. And I would add some type of sweet potato dish, preferably sweetened with maple syrup after being baked on a covered grill, skin-on.

I guess it just depends on what we are used to at outdoor gatherings. And I agree, that not every cole slaw would work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cole slaw may not be "classy" but it is the "classic" salad to serve with this meal. More important even than "classy"--the proper pairing.

This one is different and classy. Make copies of the recipe to hand out when people ask you for it - they always do! The Ramen noodles and almonds MAKE it!

Lee

California Chinese Cole Slaw

1 head grated cabbage

1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, broken into pieces (uncooked)
(I discard the seasoning packet, but you can use it in the dressing, if you want)
1pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:

1 cup oil ½ cup sugar
6 T. Chinese white vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.

To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

Back
Top Bottom