"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question Need salad ideas help

Having a large party June 3rd for my daughter's college graduation. I am having 100 people attending. Looking for a salad for this large group. Looking for more then a plain salad. We are having Roast Pig, with italian seasoning,60 lbs steamed shrimp, 1200 top neck clams, Roast beef, Pot and Mac salad etc. Any help would be appreciated. Something classy, good, and that all would enjoy. Thank you for your time and attention in advance.

BBQ COP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Master Chef
Do you have a good stand mixer such as Kitchen-Aid or equivalent. If so, purchase a bunch of pre-shreded cabbage and grated carrot (cole slaw mix) at your local warehouse market (Costco, Sam's Choice, etc). Also purchase a very large bottle of Miracle whip, and several onions. Peel the onions and place in your food processor with the cutting blade. Pulse a couple times to pulverize the onion. Place the shredded lettuce into the large mixer bowl along with the Miracle Whip at a ratio of about 3 parts cabbage to 1 part salad dressing. Add about half of the onion. Use the paddle bit with your mixer to combine the ingredients. Taste. Add more onion until after mixing, it bcomes part of the flavor. Add enough ice water to the cole slaw to make it very moist. Add sugar to taste. You can also mix in raisons, and/or pineapple chunks, and/or apple chunks, and/or pecan or walnut pieces to this mixture if desired.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Below is a very extensive list (a-z) of salads. Not sure what types of salads you like.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
A party salad that I think is fun and tasty is a your favorite salad, either Cesar or Italian or whatever you are feeling like. You make the salad make sure to chop the lettuce up really well at your favorites but make sure to chop everything rather small because we are not going to put the salad in a plate but on a romaine lettuce leaf to serve it.
Who Doesn't Love to Eat?
katluvscake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
diverse taste

Truthfully for a large group I would keep the salad plain but build a small salad bar around it. Give the choice of a few different dressings because the you also address those who have a restricted diet. Use a salad set of a large bowls and small ones to create a small salad bar.
mrsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Head Chef
I am with Goodweed on this.

Sounds like the meal is crying for slaw.

Never heard of steamers being called top neck clams, and grew up in the region.

Well, you learn something new everyday.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
sorry meant to say also put cheeses like feta or crumbled blue,olives,peppers ,onions etc.give the choice of 3 dressings and of course oil and vinegar.
mrsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
Shrimp Salad

Take some of your steamed shrimp
large bag of shell macaroni (boiled)
miracle whip
green onions
tony Z's Cajun' seasoning
lemon juice

Cut up your shrimp and mix into cold cooked macaroni. Add chopped green onions,Seasonings and miracle whip (enough to give it a smoothe consistancy)
Add salt, cracked pepper and lemon juice. Mix real well. Cover and put in the fridge to continue chilling (like potato salad). Adding alot of the tony Z's will gives it a spicy taste.....MMmmmmmmmmmmm Good!
Quizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver

Certainly does sound like your meal needs something cold, sweet/sour and crunchy. I like the idea of multipule crudeties (sp). With dips. Lots of choices for guests and not a lot of work for you.
At my age Happy Hour means a nap in the afternoon
goodgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior Cook
It doesn't have lettuce, but it's still good.

I founnd this recipe at Allrecipes.com, I might even throw some tomatoes in the recipe as well. Hope this helps, Good Luck.
Seafood Salad Supreme Submitted by: Michelle Dennis
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 19 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings "Shrimp and crabmeat, mixed with seashell pasta, red pepper, and mozzarella cheese, to form a delicious salad that everyone will enjoy."
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled
and deveined
1 pound crabmeat
1 (8 ounce) package seashell
2 strips celery, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup slivered, toasted
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay
Seasoning TM
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute shrimp until pink. Add crabmeat and cook one more minute or until heated through. Set aside. 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. 3. Transfer the shrimp and crabmeat to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in pasta, celery, bell pepper and green onion. Add mozzarella cheese, slivered toasted almonds, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with parsley, and old bay seasoning. Toss to mix thoroughly. 4. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Marishka_20 is offline   Reply With Quote