"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Old-Fashioned Sweet-Sour Cole Slaw

This is from the Brookville Hotel in Abilene, Kansas. They serve a one meal menu - Fried Chicken Dinner w/all the trimmings - including a "relish tray" with spiced crabapples! If you're in the area you don't want to miss it!

1 1/2 lb shreedded green cabbage
1 t salt
2/3 C sugar
1/3 C cider vinegar
1 C whipping cream (do not whip)

Place shredded cabbage in covered dish in refrigerator for several hours. Mix ingredients in order given 30 minutes before serving. Chill and serve.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
How sweet is it Lindatooo?

Old 05-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

Not tooooo sweet, Sushi and most refreshing :D
Old 05-30-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to RAYT721
RE: Cole Slaw Recipe

Having a cookout today and decided to give this a try. It's still chilling in the fridge but I cheated and snuck a taste. I like it already and it hasn't had a chance to blend the sweet with the sour yet. I give this a thumbs up, way up, on this one! Thanks for sharing!!! /rayt721; Cleveland, OH.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to RAYT721
I GOOFED!!! :(

Without question, this is the BEST cole slaw dressing I've ever had! However, I used a grater for the cabbage and it must have come out too fine because the end result looked like soup. There is nothing to chew on. As stated the dressing is VERY tasty but I think next time (and there WILL be a next time), I will probably get a bag of already shredded cole slaw mix and this will be the dressing that I use. I sure messed this one up but learned a lesson... there is a difference between shredding and grating!!! :) /rayt721

Tags
None