Onera and Dona, are two lovely Greek restaurants located in Manhattan and owned by Restaurateur and Chef Michael Psilakis. This salad is accompanied by a wonderful Greek Santorini White Wine called: Assyrtiko Gai´a A Estate Thalassitis.
I have been preparing this salad for years ...
shrimp salad ( one can substitute chicken or tuna if you prefer ) ...
2 triple skin oranges ( navel oranges )
1/4 cup white wine vinegar plus two tablespoons
1 large garlic clove
1 small shallot or spring onion
1 tsp. fresh dill herb
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
3/4 cup Evoo
a sprinkle of sea salt ( Maldon )
freshly ground black, rose and green pepper
20 shelled and deveined large jumbo shrimps or prawns
2 bunches of water cress or arugula - 9 ounces field greens of choice
1 medium fennel bulb halved and cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata Black Olives
1/2 cup walnuts ( choice: can use hazelnuts, or brazil nuts or macademia. )
1. Finely grate 1 tsp of zest from the oranges and reserve
2. using sharp knife, peel the oranges and remove all bitter pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the orange sections into the bowl
and pour off the juice, reserving 2 tblsps for the vinaigrette.
3. in a blender, combine the vinegar with the reserved orange zest and juice, the garlic, the onion selected, the dill and the Dijon and ground fennel seeds. With the machine on, slowly and gradually pour
in 1/2 cup plus 2 tblsps of EVOO and season with the sea salt and the freshly ground peppercorns.
4. in a large skillet, toast 1/2 cup walnuts, over moderate heat, until fragrant, 3 mins. Transfer to plate, to cool. In the same skillet, heat the remaining EVOO and season Prawns with sea salt and freshly ground peppercorns. Sauté 2 mins. per side ...
5. in a large bowl, toss the arugula or watercress, with the fennel, olives, toasted walnuts, and orange sections. Add 1/2 cup vinaigrette and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and top with Prawns and serve ...
Make extra dressing for the sauce boat.
Serve with white dry wine, from Greece or Italia for example: Prosecco.
Hot warm crusty bread shall be wonderful accompaniment.