Panzanella in a Bread Bowl - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Can't give you exact measurements, as I tossed together what I had on hand. You can add in the flavors & ingredients you like, and change it out to suit your taste.

I started w a round bread loaf - cut off the top & hollowed out (pulled out the bread from the inside). Cut the bread in cubes, tossed w olive oil , placed on a baking sheet in preheated 350 oven for about 25 mins. tossing them around till evenly browned. Let cool.

For the salad - combine 8 oz spinach leaves or mixed salad greens, halved cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced cukes, chopped roasted sweet red peppers (jarred), minced red onion, about a can of garbanzos (rinsed & drained), shredded mozzarella cheese, Italian cold cuts - salami, pepperoni, etc - sliced. Toss with italian vinaigrette dressing & fill the bread bowl with the salad mixture. Top with the croutons & grated parmesan.

I served with coffee panna cotta for dessert.

Last edited:
Nice presentation for a salad! I would like ot try this for a family get-together. Thanks for sharing.

FYI- as I never heard of Panzanella, I was hoping to see a picture of it. I googled panzanella and found some lovely photos. Next time you make it, can you share a pic here, please? I would love to see it in the bread bowl.

Nice presentation for a salad! I would like ot try this for a family get-together. Thanks for sharing.

FYI- as I never heard of Panzanella, I was hoping to see a picture of it. I googled panzanella and found some lovely photos. Next time you make it, can you share a pic here, please? I would love to see it in the bread bowl.

Thanks Jill. Wish I had the wherewithall (is that a word) to do pics w digital gizmos & more puter savvy. It is a lovely presentation, & different from the same old salad on a plate. Another idea, is to make/serve a caesar salad in a bread bowl or small ciabatta rolls as appys or turn it nto a salmon salad. Lots of ways to go. Hope you give it a try.

Last edited:
Gosh, I haven't thought of this in years. Probably because I can't make bread down here and can't find it either. You may have spirred me into trying again.
Thanks!

Can't give you exact measurements, as I tossed together what I had on hand. You can add in the flavors & ingredients you like, and change it out to suit your taste.

I started w a round bread loaf - cut off the top & hollowed out (pulled out the bread from the inside). Cut the bread in cubes, tossed w olive oil , placed on a baking sheet in preheated 350 oven for about 25 mins. tossing them around till evenly browned. Let cool.

For the salad - combine 8 oz spinach leaves or mixed salad greens, halved cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced cukes, chopped roasted sweet red peppers (jarred), minced red onion, about a can of garbanzos (rinsed & drained), shredded mozzarella cheese, Italian cold cuts - salami, pepperoni, etc - sliced. Toss with italian vinaigrette dressing & fill the bread bowl with the salad mixture. Top with the croutons & grated parmesan.

I served with coffee panna cotta for dessert.

sounds wonderful ! thanks for sharing!
LadyCook.

Gosh, I haven't thought of this in years. Probably because I can't make bread down here and can't find it either. You may have spirred me into trying again.
Thanks!

Quicksilver, I find that the humidity here (similar to yours) helps to make the best bread I have ever baked. I think the gas oven helps, too.....

Thanks!

Hi quicksilver. If you can't find a round bread loaf, maybe you could try the refrigerated dough breadsticks. Wrap them around the outside of an ovenproof bowl (turned upside down) or ovenproof mugs. Keep wrapping the breadsticks around, and pinch to seal. Hope you can find them in your area. Have fun with it.:)

sounds wonderful ! thanks for sharing!
LadyCook.
You're welcome LadyCook. Makes an easy meal during the summer. Maybe try filling the bread loaf w strawberry spinach salad w balsamic, chicken & blueberry salad, or a taco salad w jack cheese, sliced avocados on top with sour cream in the center. Would be fun to play around with different salad fillings. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom