"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Usually I'm cooking for one so for me, pasta salad has evolved into a kind of 'use up what's in the veggie bin' one meal salad. I'm not crazy about it the next day either, so I usually just grab a palmful of orzo and start chopping whatever veggies need to be used up. Sometimes bits of ham or shrimp get added. I use a blend of a little mayo, rice vinegar, and Penzeys Greek seasoning or Fox Point and call it a meal. I like using orzo and chopping the veggies rather small, that way I can get a little of everything in one bite.

It's rarely the same twice unless I make it specifically for a family dinner or BBQ, then I obviously put more care into the ingredients. We especially like antipasto salads and for that I use a larger sized pasta instead of orzo.
Although I do have straight white vinegar on hand, I use it mostly for cleaning. Rice or apple cider are my two go vinegars.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #32
Senior Cook
 
erehweslefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I like using orzo
I have a orzo Parmesan recipe I loved, but I never got up to using orzo as an everyday pasta. And there is a reason, and a story behind it.

So a couple of years ago, my favorite internet source of grains went out of business, and had a going out of business sale. I used them as a source for unhulled barley, which I enjoy and have many recipes for that. Rather different than pearl barley.

Wanting to support them, looking at the prices, and not realizing it was a clearance sale, I purchased a ten gallon bucket of hulled barley, and a ten gallon bucket of oat groats. I thought I was buying a different metric. So I have a ton of barley and oats, and does that inform my reciepies? heck yes

So I like using barley like pasta, which doesn't work for long pasta, but works quite well for orzo.
__________________

__________________
sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #33
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Although I do have straight white vinegar on hand, I use it mostly for cleaning. Rice or apple cider are my two go vinegars.
I love Heinz White Vinegar. To the best of my knowledge, it was the very first of Heinz' 57000 varieties (with the equally-excellent cider vinegar appearing next). But note that there are two grades: The one sold in glass is the pristine product with very clean, neutral flavour, while the much cheaper one with similar name but sold in plastic is commodity white vinegar. (Don't get me wrong: I also love Marukan and Mitsukan unseasoned rice vinegars.)
__________________
outRIAAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
I love Heinz White Vinegar. To the best of my knowledge, it was the very first of Heinz' 57000 varieties (with the equally-excellent cider vinegar appearing next). But note that there are two grades: The one sold in glass is the pristine product with very clean, neutral flavour, while the much cheaper one with similar name but sold in plastic is commodity white vinegar. (Don't get me wrong: I also love Marukan and Mitsukan unseasoned rice vinegars.)
Are you saying there is a white vinegar other than distilled white vinegar? Or are you referring to horticultural vinegar with a higher percentage of acetic acid?

I don't understand what you mean by "pristine" and "commodity."
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #35
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Are you saying there is a white vinegar other than distilled white vinegar? Or are you referring to horticultural vinegar with a higher percentage of acetic acid?

I don't understand what you mean by "pristine" and "commodity."
Not at all, just that Heinz sells two distinct grades with different purposes, and doesn't do a very good job of distinguishing them, except by price. I believe they are both 5% vinegars. Taste both and the difference in quality is apparent. I think I learned that from the magnificent Barbara Tropp (RIP). In fact I'll go post her gorgeous recipe for pickled ginger now.
__________________
outRIAAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
Not at all, just that Heinz sells two distinct grades with different purposes, and doesn't do a very good job of distinguishing them, except by price. I believe they are both 5% vinegars. Taste both and the difference in quality is apparent. I think I learned that from the magnificent Barbara Tropp (RIP). In fact I'll go post her gorgeous recipe for pickled ginger now.
According to their website, the cleaning vinegar is 20% stronger than the cooking vinegar. I'd imagine the cleaning vinegar is sold in the cleaning area (I've never looked for it; didn't occur to me there would be another one). Horticultural vinegar is actually 20% acetic acid. I think it's only available to professionals (landscapers, contractors, etc.).
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pasta, salad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.