Pink Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Pink Potato Salad

Boil 2 lbs. small, thin-skinned potatoes, pour into colander. Peel and cut up into large
bowl at once, holding each potato on a large fork. It helps if you put a fabric bandaid on
the thumb that will come into contact with the hot potatoes.
Add;
a bottle of Wishbone Fat-Free Catalina salad dressing;
1 T. celery seed;
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped;
2 chopped green (and/or yellow, orange) pepper;
2 c. chopped celery
6 hardboiled eggs but only 2 or 3 yolks;
1/2 to 3/4 c. sweet pickle relish.

Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day add about 1 to 1-1/2 c. fat-free mayonnaise. Best if let stand in the fridge 3 days.

My wife is from Panama and she makes a pink potato salad that has beets in it. Its a straight foreward mayo based salad with lime juice, diced beets and a little of the beet juice. Top it with a little hot sauce and it's great

Sorry she has neverfollowed a recipe. As I said it's a basic potato salad recipe so:
Boil and peel ans slice your potatos -3pounds
You can also boil a carrot or two ans slice (optional)
1 small can diced beets drained
Dice your celery and onions and squeeze lime juice over them (1/2 cup each)
4 hardboiled egds cut in 1/8ths
In a mixing bowl:
Combine potatoes, carrot, onion, celery and lime juice, beets, and toss with 1/2 C of Hellmann's mayo ( add more if you like it creamier)
Add a little bit juice, salt and pepper to taste
Gently fold in the eggs and if you like cilantro mix some of that in to.

This is a rough estimate of amounts. Try it and add more of what you like, take out what you don't...it's just cooking

Salud,
JDP

JDP said:
My wife is from Panama and she makes a pink potato salad that has beets in it. Its a straight foreward mayo based salad with lime juice, diced beets and a little of the beet juice. Top it with a little hot sauce and it's great

No kidding! I must be telepathic. :wacko: I think that sounds good.

I also think a sweet & sour dressing like they use with German potato salad would be awfully good on a beet/potato salad. I would include the hard-boiled eggs and onions...not sure what else. What do you thinki?

Back
Top Bottom