Potato, onion,greenbeens,herb-rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My grandmother use to make this and as a kids I can remember her picking the beans, basil and parsley for it. Decided to make some today and it's as I remember, the only difference being I used yukon gold waxy potatoes instead of the white rose gramma use to use.
4-waxy boiling potatoes
1-lb. green beans, trimmed
1- sm/med red onion, size depends on your taste for onions
1/3-c. evoo
3-tab. fresh torn basil
2-Tab.chopped parsley, I chop coarsley and use Italian flat leaf..Mint if you like it is also nice in this salad
coarse grey sal
fresh cracked coarse grind black pepper
either fresh squeezed lemon or vinegar to taste
boil potatoes til tender,cool, then cut into slices, mine are about 1/4 inch thick. Cook beans til crisp tender,drop into icy water to keep them green and to cool. then break or cut into bite sized pieces. Drop the potatoes and beans into a good size bowl, add the chopped onion, herbs, evoo,vinegar, salt and pepper and toss. Taste for seasonings and serve. You can serve this chilled or at room temp..I like it at room temp..A handful or two of crumbled crisp pancetta can be added if you like:LOL: I sure do.

enjoy,
kadesma

This would be a delicious, healthier alternative to the regular potato salad... and something Lucilla would eat, too!! Thanks for another lovely idea!!

urmaniac13 said:
This would be a delicious, healthier alternative to the regular potato salad... and something Lucilla would eat, too!! Thanks for another lovely idea!!
That would be great Licia, Lucilla will be fine having you and her dad pulling for her. If she has any favorite veggies let me know and we;ll see what we can come up with. You know me and how I feel about children:)

kadesma

thumpershere2 said:
Thanks for posting, sounds like a great summer dish
Thanks thumpeshere,
It's good at room temp or cold, I've had it both ways and love it cold with ice tea for lunch and room temp with grilled chicken or fish.

kadesma:)

I love different ideas on summer food, and especially this idea of combining the seasons great green beans with potatoes. I particularly appreciate recipes I can cook in the cooler, early hours of the morning, then have for a couple of meals, waiting in the fridge. Not to mention dishes that take advantage of my exploding herb garden!

Claire said:
I love different ideas on summer food, and especially this idea of combining the seasons great green beans with potatoes. I particularly appreciate recipes I can cook in the cooler, early hours of the morning, then have for a couple of meals, waiting in the fridge. Not to mention dishes that take advantage of my exploding herb garden!
I feel the same way Claire, that's the nice thing about this recipe, it's wonderful cold or at room temp and is really a meal initself paired with, as we do with fruit, cheese and a roll or slice of french bread. Glad it's one you can use.

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom