Potato salad bombed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
oh boy, my potatoe salad directions said cook until tender but firm. They seemed tender but firm. Now that it's ALL mixed with the mayo and other stuff - I taste it and there are Certainly FIRM. I also didn't cut the potatoe pieces small enough. I don't think it's going to be a big hit at tomorrows cookout. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm not making it all over again. I would say there cooked, but a bit too firm for my taste when it comes to potatoe salad. I knew I should of cooked them to they were very soft like I do most of my potatoes. They are red potatoes.

I have done the red potatoes whole boiled them and then cut them up. I have done them cut up first and then boiled. I've done a blend of yellow skin and red (yukon gold and cheiftan). I find I always poke them with a kitchen fork or skewr that parts with no resistence and then that is done not by a timer

Next time make sure that they are done before you make up the salad. And remember that they do have to be somewhat firm or your salad will disintegrate (though some people like it that way).

Keep trying and you'll get it right soon.

I had poked a fork through a bunch of them and the fork went right through the potatoe. It seemed like it was done to me. but now they seem firm. maybe people will like it after all.

jennyema said:
Next time make sure that they are done before you make up the salad...Keep trying and you'll get it right soon.

I agree w JM. The fork may go thru, but that doesn't mean it's done/cooked thru. Taste it. If the potatoes taste raw, dump it. It took me a little trial and error to get pasta just right, when I first started cooking. The key, for me is, taste as you go along.

I'm afriad that SOME of the potatoes taste a "LITTLE" crunchy. and some taste just fine.

Should I really toss the entire thing?

How about if legend tries to nuke the potato salad now?

Think that would work? I would try it, if it were me.

Lee

QSis said:
How about if legend tries to nuke the potato salad now?

Think that would work? I would try it, if it were me.

Lee

For how long do you think? and than put it back in the refrigerator to get cold again.

it's hannaford version of creamy salad dressing. It's in the mayo section. I think it might be like miracle whip, but not sure.

The potatoes were a smidge away from being done. So I took the entire bowl and nuked it. I hit the potatoe button. I think it cooked for about 7 minutes or less maybe. I took a bite out of a BIG potatoe and it was perfect. I ended up mixing it and putting it back in the refrigerator. Not sure if I really see any harm in doing this.

I am skeptical about the nuke option, but why not take a little bit and give it a go?

The worst that happens is you have wasted a fraction of your salad.

My husbands family always makes potato salad ...the only didfference is they mash the potatoes. the flavor goes all the way through the potato. Paul hated to bite into a potato and find the inside plain..no flavor.Maybe it is a southern thing..

legend_018 said:
The potatoes were a smidge away from being done. So I took the entire bowl and nuked it. I hit the potatoe button. I think it cooked for about 7 minutes or less maybe. I took a bite out of a BIG potatoe and it was perfect. I ended up mixing it and putting it back in the refrigerator. Not sure if I really see any harm in doing this.

Me either! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Lee

I think the nuking is a great idea. I've seen a lot of hot dishes that call for mayonnaise. Miracle Whip is what I keep on hand, and that works too.
I do wonder what it will do to the hard-boiled eggs. I will be interested to hear how it turns out.

I've started nuking whole potatoes for potato salad and mashed potatoes too. It's just so much easier for me, physically. Once they're done, I let them cool a while, and the skins come right off. I've really been pleased with the results, and there's one less pot to wash.

Anyway, getting to the point...Kim thought the potatoes were a little firm in the batch I made the other night. They were done, though, and well-seasoned, as I always make my potato salad a day ahead of time. It makes so much difference when you give the potatoes time to soak up the seasoning! (Pasta salad is the same way.)

I had another suggestion for you, and that was to turn your potato salad into a hot dish. Add a little bacon and cheddar cheese, and I'll bet it would be delicious!

Back
Top Bottom