Potato Salad ( german / american )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winglover

Assistant Cook
No offense but wehnever I find "german" potatosalad in the USA I end up eating something really nasty. So I had to come up with my own modification.

This is a nother recipe that I just picked up watching my mother .

You need

Potatoes
Sour Crème
Mayonaise
Sweet guerkins
Salt pepper
Few eggs ( hard boiled )
Onions
Fresh bacon ( fried ) ( 3 slices )

Boil the potatoes.. you know best how you like em.

I usually leave the skin on but if not peel it. I am too lazy for peeling and it reminds of my chilcdhood where lunch sometimes consisted of peeled potatoes and maynaise.

For the dressing/ sauce.. whatever you call it

For the whole amount of dressing you want to make use half mayonaise and half sourcreme, mix it up and cut a few ( 3–5 ) sweet guerkins into the mix. The use maybe ¼ cup of the guerkins juice and add it, then comes salt, pepper as you please. Chop the onions and add them as well.

Cut up the hard boilded eggs and stir em in together with the crumbled pieces of fried bacon.

Mix it all up and pour it over the potatoes and make mix it under.

I let mine usually sit over night and turn it over before I serve it. I garnish it weith cherry tomatoes and maybe quarters of eggs… Paprika on top always looks good as well.

[font=&quot]This also is a great match with my porkloin recipe.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12706
[/font]

Now this looks sooo good!! I will definitely make this this week!! I agree with you about what is called German potato salad here. I won't touch it as I found out too many times it was yuck. One question though, are the potatoes warm or cool when you add the dressing? I ask as every German potato salad I have tried before was heated.

Thank you winglover, this looks like one my husband will drool over..I suspect he and the kids will elbow each other to see who gets the first and last scoop..:LOL: Thanks again

kadesma

Thank you Winglover!! I know I will love this and my husband too!! BTW, is that your dog on your avatar? Cute baby!!!

I absolutely have to try this. I don't normally eat potato salad but your recipe sounds great!

I don't know anything about potato salad in the US but this is my favourite. I absolutely cannot stand bought potato salad dressing though...

500g potato
125g bacon, diced
2 T sour cream
1 t dijion mustard
1 t seeded mustard
1 T red wine vinegar
salt
fresh chives

Boil spuds, cool, peel and cube. Fry bacon until crisp and save fat. Mix everything else except chives. Combine with spud. Chopped chives and pepper on top.

Back
Top Bottom