Potato Salad with dill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexi1989

Assistant Cook
3 lbs red potatoes, boiled
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
fresh dill to taste - I put nearly all of the clear plastic container in the produce section into mine, but you can do more or less - dill is very notable, but also relatively mild, so it's not easy to mess this up.
1/5 cup chopped red onion
dried mustard to taste
salt to taste
mayonaise to taste (edited in)

Stir!

The dill and green bell pepper really add the special something to this.

Last edited:
What I like instead of mayo is a product called Vegenaise, made from grapeseed oil. It has a purple label. It doesn't have the bite, or sharp tone of the mayo. Besides, it can be left out longer and is good for the heart, too. It can be bought at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or any quality natural food store in the refrigerator section. The texture is white and creamy like mayo. It does cost more (of course!). I use the grapeseed oil Vegenaise in recipes that call for mayo. Everyone I know who has tried it prefers it to mayo.

What I like instead of mayo is a product called Vegenaise, made from grapeseed oil. It has a purple label. It doesn't have the bite, or sharp tone of the mayo. Besides, it can be left out longer and is good for the heart, too. It can be bought at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or any quality natural food store in the refrigerator section. The texture is white and creamy like mayo. It does cost more (of course!). I use the grapeseed oil Vegenaise in recipes that call for mayo. Everyone I know who has tried it prefers it to mayo.

I will have to look for it Green Lady. I'm always open to trying healthier things. I recently bought a "mayo" made with olive oil - it was quite tasty!

This product sounded interesting to me so I googled it and this is what I came up with. I just might try it. Scroll down.

main_01.jpeg
vegenaise2b_02.jpeg
main_03.jpeg
vegenaise_facts_04.jpeg
blank.gif
blank.gif

"IT TASTES JUST LIKE REAL MAYONNAISE !"
Above all, that is what people find most remarkable about Vegenaise.
real_mayo_taste.gif

Vegenaise is egg free. The Federal Standard of Identity specifies that mayonnaise must contain eggs. Therefore, Vegenaise comes under the FDA category of Dressing and Sandwich Spread. Nevertheless, in taste tests, consumers and food experts consistently identify Vegenaise as tasting more like real mayonnaise than other products, including many containing eggs.* There are a great number of people today who wish to avoid eggs in their diet due to vegetarian, health, allergy, and moral/religious reasons. We receive countless letters from such people who are grateful to be able to enjoy eating some of their favorite foods which would ordinarily require the use of mayonnaise.

* In a test of 13 leading lower-fat mayonnaises which appeared in the New York Times (July 29, 1998) Vegenaise was selected as a standout, beating out, among others, Hellman's Low Fat Mayonnaise, Kraft Mayonnaise Light, Kraft Miracle Whip Light Dressing, Nayonnaise Vegi Dressing and Spread, and Spectrum Lite Canola Mayonnaise.

Vegenaise is dairy free. While regular mayonnaise is usually made without dairy products, some, especially those made without eggs, do contain whey, which is a milk product.

Vegenaise contains no cholesterol. Since Vegenaise contains no ingredients derived from animal sources, it therefore is completely free of cholesterol. Furthermore, Vegenaise contains no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fat, no transfat, and is low in saturated fat.

Vegenaise contains 20% less fat than ordinary mayonnaise.

Vegenaise is fresh! It contains no preservatives. In contrast to mayonnaises which typically use preservatives to reduce rancidity and to prevent the growth of dangerous organisms such as salmonella in the eggs, Vegenaise is kept constantly refrigerated to keep it as fresh as the day it was made. For marketing and distribution reasons, no other national brand of sandwich spread has taken this bold approach to delivering the consumer a fresh sandwich spread. It's easier and cheaper to deal with a product that can be shipped, stored for long periods, and merchandised at room temperatures or higher. But such methods require the addition of questionable ingredients, adjustments in formulation at the expense of taste, or both. Only Vegenaise delivers the uncompromised pure taste and superior qualities of a truly fresh product.

Vegenaise contains no highly refined sugars. In mayonnaise type spreads, the sharper tones of vinegar and lemon are typically balanced with a sweetener, usually sugar or corn syrup. We use brown rice syrup, because it is a highly nutritious, minimally processed sweetener with a pleasant flavor, and which, unlike honey, is acceptable to strict vegans who prefer to avoid all animal products. Vegenaise is a vegan food. It contains no animal ingredients. Vegenaise contains no wheat, no yeast, no gums, no fillers, no starch, and no gluten (no, not even in the enzyme used to produce the brown rice syrup - we've checked).

Vegenaise contains no grain vinegar. Only natural apple cider vinegar is used. The mustard listed in the ingredients is pure ground mustard seed, not prepared mustard, which usually contains distilled grain vinegar.

Vegenaise is low in sodium. It contains only 80 mg. per serving.

Vegenaise contains soy protein. Soy is becoming increasingly popular due to its many nutritional benefits including its function as a natural estrogen replacement.

Vegenaise is made in four varieties, Original, Grapeseed Oil, Expeller Pressed and Organic. All of the varieties taste similar, however, each is made with a different oil, and of course, the Organic Vegenaise is made with almost entirely organic ingredients. Of the four varieties, the Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise differs slightly in taste due to the fact that grapeseed oil has a more distinctive flavor than the other oils used.

Original Vegenaise is made with Canola Oil, lowest in saturated fat of all the popular edible oils.

Grapeseed Oil is used in another version of our product for its extraordinary qualities with respect to its effect on cholesterol. Clinical tests have shown grapeseed oil to have a significant effect on lowering serum cholesterol. More importantly, subjects experienced a lowering of LDL (the so called "bad" cholesterol), and an increase in HDL (the "good" cholesterol). For more details of this study, click here. Those already familiar with grapeseed oil may wonder if the powerful family of antioxidants known as proanthocyanidins which are naturally occurring in grapeseed oil are effected by our processing. The answer is that our unique cold process keeps all available nutritional factors intact.

The third variety of Vegenaise is made with Expeller Pressed Canola Oil. Expeller pressed oils are extracted without the use of any of the solvents typically used in the production of most edible oils. The lower oil yield achieved through an exclusively expeller pressed method results in a somewhat higher price. However, some individuals prefer to use only products which are processed entirely without solvents. Expeller Pressed Vegenaise meets those customers' needs.

Organic Vegenaise is made with the highest quality, third party certified, organic ingredients. The oil in Organic Vegenaise is Expeller Pressed Organic Soybean Oil. In order to be labeled "Organic", products must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic ingredients (excluding water and salt). Organic Vegenaise exceeds this standard.

What about genetically engineered ingredients? Consumers who are concerned about genetically engineered ingredients (GMO's [Genetically Modified Organisms]) can be confident that the Expeller Pressed Vegenaise, Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise and Organic Vegenaise are all free of GMO's. While the soy protein used in all of our Vegenaise products is from Certified Non-GMO sources, we are still seeking to obtain a conventional canola oil which is Certified Non-GMO for use in our Original Vegenaise.

Vegenaise is versatile. Even more than mayonnaise, which tends to be a little delicate at times, Vegenaise can stand up to a lot more than a potato salad. In addition to all the usual applications, we've made delicious use of Vegenaise in recipes ranging from luscious garlic aïoli, to dips and dressings, an incredible Vegenaise Eggless Chocolate Cake, or even a warm Vegenaise Marsala Wine Sauce we use to dress up our steamed asparagus. The possibilities are endless. Two caveats however; always store Vegenaise in the refrigerator, and like mayonnaise, Vegenaise must not be frozen. Forgot to put it in the refrigerator right away when you got home? No harm done. Because there are no eggs in Vegenaise, leaving it out at room temperature won't pose any health hazard. But, each day it will lose a little bit of its fresh taste, so we always recommend constant refrigeration.

There's a lot of confusion about the name of our product. Some people call it Vege-naise, pronounced with a soft "g", as in vegetarian. Due to the fact that it is a vegan food, many people call it Vegan-aise, with a hard "g", as in vegan. At the time we first created our product, in the early 1970s, the word "vegan" was relatively new, and not yet widely recognized or understood. It couldn't even be found in most dictionaries. So, it never occurred to us to use that term in the name of our product. We were simply thinking, "Vegetarian Mayonnaise". But because Vegan-aise so aptly describes our product, we think that's a pretty good name too. Which one's right? Well, we call it Vege-naise from force of habit, but you can Follow Your Heart, and call it whichever you prefer. Just ask for it by name. They'll know what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom