Ranch Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I have seen several references to Ranch Dressing. May I ask what this is?

Is it a commercially available bottled dressing? If so, can anyone suggest an alternative because I cannot get Ranch Dressing in my neck of the woods.

Is it difficult to make at home?

I have a feeling it uses buttermilk, but for info, I cannot get buttermilk in Beijing.

advoca said:
I have seen several references to Ranch Dressing. May I ask what this is?

Is it a commercially available bottled dressing? If so, can anyone suggest an alternative because I cannot get Ranch Dressing in my neck of the woods.
It's available everywhere in the USA.
advoca said:
Is it difficult to make at home?

I have a feeling it uses buttermilk, but for info, I cannot get buttermilk in Beijing.
Yes, it uses buttermilk. It shouldn't be that hard to make from scratch, but you've indicated that you can't get buttermilk where you're at. There are also seasoning packets to make the dressing at home, but those require buttermilk and mayo, bought seperately.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I remember a Food TV show, Paula Deen I think, that showed how to make buttermilk in a pinch. She used regular milk and added acid, lemon juice I believe.

Maybe someone else on the board can give details...

Later

This is a really good ranch dressing:

Ranch Dressing

1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 scallions, white part only, minced
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs snipped fresh chives
1 Tbs EVOO
additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Smash the garlic clove and crush with the side of a knife. Add salt and work into a coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl and add mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, scallions, parsley, and chives. Whisk in the olive oil and season with S/P to taste. Yield about 1-1/4 cup.

NOTE: If you do not use all of it the day you make it, it has a tendency to thin out because of the moisture in the scallions. One time I made it with dehydrated onion and it was still pretty good. Sometimes I add more chives too. It can be adjusted to your taste - more mayo/less buttermilk for example. It's worth a try and a lot better than bottled Ranch dressings.

Back
Top Bottom