"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I often play with recipes CWS, I think most of us do.

In the case of this recipe, I wanted to follow it exactly as I trust the author, and I can't see any way I would want to improve it. Too often we try to make a recipe "better" before we've given the recipe as it was written a chance. JMO

You are so right...kinda irritating when that happens

Old 08-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This recipe sounds really good. Stirling thinks so too. I'm figuring out how to modify it, because I don't buy dressings. The part with 1/2 a cup of dressing is easy. I'm figuring out how to substitute for the "1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix". Does anyone know the weight of a packet of the mix?
Each packet is 1 ounce and instructions are to mix it with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. This is from the Hidden Valley Ranch box of four packets.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
This recipe sounds really good. Stirling thinks so too. I'm figuring out how to modify it, because I don't buy dressings. The part with 1/2 a cup of dressing is easy. I'm figuring out how to substitute for the "1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix". Does anyone know the weight of a packet of the mix?
I think you'll be hard pressed to duplicate the mix. I always love how they never tell you exactly what's in it, like "spices and artificial flavors" lol
The packets weigh 1 oz. Because the Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix is powdered, the ingredients are either dried or dehydrated. Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, buttermilk, salt, monosodium glutamate, dried garlic, dried onion, lactic acid, citric acid, spices and artificial flavors. Dried buttermilk adds the characteristic tang to the ranch dressing.
It sounds like dried buttermilk is a good starting point.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There are lots of copycat recipes online. Here's one: http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-dre...ning-mix-47249
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Each packet is 1 ounce and instructions are to mix it with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. This is from the Hidden Valley Ranch box of four packets.
Thank you Andy, so basically garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder some herbs, salt and pepper, and buttermilk powder. I don't have any buttermilk powder. If I make this before I get some (likely) I'll figure out another way to up the buttermilk flavour.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There are lots of copycat recipes online. Here's one: Ranch Dressing And Seasoning Mix Recipe - Food.com
Thanks GG. That looks perfect. For some reason my Googlefu was missing when I tried to find a copycat recipe for the mix.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
Head Chef

Andy,

I am feeding 12 people on Monday. Will your salad feed that many or should I increase the amount? Also, do you peel the potatoes ? Thanks
Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Andy,

I am feeding 12 people on Monday. Will your salad feed that many or should I increase the amount? Also, do you peel the potatoes ? Thanks

Yes and yes. I hope you and your guests like it.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #29
Head Chef

I was able to buy just a single packet of the dried dressing mix. Making it first thing in the mo0rning to serve late afternoon tomorrow. Dressing is made and in the fridge along with my cole slaw dressing and homemade bbq sauce. Having a fit, though, my oven is acting up amd I have 2 cakes ready to go. the darned thing won't preheat!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #30
Master Chef

Oh no, I hope you're not losing your oven, lyndalou!

About 10 years ago, my oven decided to die 3 days before Thanksgiving.

Tags
potato, recipe, salad

Ranch Potato Salad [CENTER][CENTER][B]Ranch Potato Salad[/B][/CENTER] [/CENTER] [B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/B] [U]3 Lb Yukon Gold Potatoes[/U] [FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Bottled Ranch Dressing 1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix [FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Mayonnaise [FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Sour Cream 1 tsp Celery Seed [FONT=Arial]1 tsp[/FONT] Salt [FONT=Arial][/FONT] tsp Black Pepper 1 Tb Apple Cider Vinegar [U]1 Tb Dijon Mustard[/U] [FONT=Arial]1[/FONT] Lb Bacon, cooked and chopped 1 Ea Red Onion, diced 1 Ea Seedless Cucumber, peeled & cut up [FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Kalamata Olives, chopped 6 Ea Hard Cooked Eggs, sliced Peel and cube the potatoes. Cover with salted water and boil in a 4-quart saucepan until a knife tip inserted into the potato goes in easily. Be careful not to overcook. Drain the potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the dressing and dressing mix, mayonnaise, sour cream, celery seed, salt, pepper, vinegar and mustard. Toss this dressing with the cooked potatoes while they are still warm. Add the bacon, onion, cucumber and olives to the potato, and mix. Add the eggs and fold gently into the potato mixture. 3 stars 1 reviews