Ranch Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I often play with recipes CWS, I think most of us do.

In the case of this recipe, I wanted to follow it exactly as I trust the author, and I can't see any way I would want to improve it. Too often we try to make a recipe "better" before we've given the recipe as it was written a chance. JMO

You are so right...kinda irritating when that happens

This recipe sounds really good. Stirling thinks so too. I'm figuring out how to modify it, because I don't buy dressings. The part with 1/2 a cup of dressing is easy. I'm figuring out how to substitute for the "1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix". Does anyone know the weight of a packet of the mix?

Each packet is 1 ounce and instructions are to mix it with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. This is from the Hidden Valley Ranch box of four packets.

This recipe sounds really good. Stirling thinks so too. I'm figuring out how to modify it, because I don't buy dressings. The part with 1/2 a cup of dressing is easy. I'm figuring out how to substitute for the "1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix". Does anyone know the weight of a packet of the mix?

I think you'll be hard pressed to duplicate the mix. I always love how they never tell you exactly what's in it, like "spices and artificial flavors" lol
The packets weigh 1 oz. Because the Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix is powdered, the ingredients are either dried or dehydrated. Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, buttermilk, salt, monosodium glutamate, dried garlic, dried onion, lactic acid, citric acid, spices and artificial flavors. Dried buttermilk adds the characteristic tang to the ranch dressing.
It sounds like dried buttermilk is a good starting point.

Each packet is 1 ounce and instructions are to mix it with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. This is from the Hidden Valley Ranch box of four packets.
Thank you Andy, so basically garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder some herbs, salt and pepper, and buttermilk powder. I don't have any buttermilk powder. If I make this before I get some (likely) I'll figure out another way to up the buttermilk flavour.

Andy,

I am feeding 12 people on Monday. Will your salad feed that many or should I increase the amount? Also, do you peel the potatoes ? Thanks

I was able to buy just a single packet of the dried dressing mix. Making it first thing in the mo0rning to serve late afternoon tomorrow. Dressing is made and in the fridge along with my cole slaw dressing and homemade bbq sauce. Having a fit, though, my oven is acting up amd I have 2 cakes ready to go. the darned thing won't preheat!

Oh no, I hope you're not losing your oven, lyndalou!

About 10 years ago, my oven decided to die 3 days before Thanksgiving. :ohmy::glare:

Hey, Cheryl..it's not the first time it's done that. Sooooo I went out with my DH and bought a new one. Delivery Tuesday. Won't need the oven for my party so it's all good.
thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom