Ranch Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Ranch Potato Salad

3 Lb Yukon Gold Potatoes
½ C Bottled Ranch Dressing
1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix
½ C Mayonnaise
½ C Sour Cream
1 tsp Celery Seed
1½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
1 Tb Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tb Dijon Mustard
1 Lb Bacon, cooked and chopped
1 Ea Red Onion, diced
1 Ea Seedless Cucumber, peeled & cut up
½ C Kalamata Olives, chopped
6 Ea Hard Cooked Eggs, sliced

Peel and cube the potatoes. Cover with salted water and boil in a 4-quart saucepan until a knife tip inserted into the potato goes in easily. Be careful not to overcook. Drain the potatoes.

While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the dressing and dressing mix, mayonnaise, sour cream, celery seed, salt, pepper, vinegar and mustard. Toss this dressing with the cooked potatoes while they are still warm.

Add the bacon, onion, cucumber and olives to the potato, and mix.

Add the eggs and fold gently into the potato mixture.

Reactions: fmw
Andy, I'm afraid I gained a couple of pounds just reading that recipe. :unsure: It sounds absolutely delicious! BTW, about how many average eaters does this recipe serve? "Average" being the operative word.

Thank you for sharing your recipe, Andy - it sounds delicious! :yum: Easy to halve for smaller gatherings. Copied and saved. :)

...BTW, about how many average eaters does this recipe serve? "Average" being the operative word.

I don't know. A lot. If you're serving this, along with a bunch of other foods at a cookout, lots of servings. If you're using it as a side for you and your DH, not as many because it takes a more prominent role.

Andy, the addition of cucumber in a potato salad sounds both surprising and refreshing, and everyone knows life is better with bacon! I can't wait to give this a try.

Andy, the addition of cucumber in a potato salad sounds both surprising and refreshing, and everyone knows life is better with bacon! I can't wait to give this a try.

I use cuke because I don't like celery, which is more common. Feel free to sub celery if you like.

I am making modifications on the recipe I developed from some potato salad threads of years past. I suspect I ruled out the ranch dressing when I did not buy store bought dressings. Now I buy ranch by the 1/2 gallon! And one pound of bacon? I generally add 6 strips, may have to up that.

Andy, we just finished making a 1/2 recipe of your potato salad, I can see why you call it famous as we agree it's about the best we've ever tasted. We only made two minor changes in using red potatoes instead of gold, and used celery instead of cucumber. Sous Chef (the engineer;)) really appreciated your precise measurements for the dressing and it was indeed perfect. The 1/2 recipe made about 3 quarts of salad.

This is a keeper of a recipe folks! :chef:

Thanks, Kayelle! It's my own creation. I started out using red potatoes and switched to Yukon Gold. I think it's a toss-up. Celery instead of cukes is reasonable as most people like celery and it's traditional in potato salad. I'm really glad you guys liked it.

P.S. I write recipes for my anal retentive self. So exact measurements are the norm for me. If someone gives me a "less precise" recipe, I make it and re-write it for me. My kids are used to me and my detail oriented life.

Short illustrative story. SO and I and my two daughters went out for a 40th birthday brunch for my younger daughter. As a gift I made her some of my onion bagels that she likes. They came with instructions to freeze them. To microwave one at full power for 25 seconds (in a 1000 watt microwave), then slice and toast it.

Birthday girl read the instructions and chuckled. "What?" I asked. She said, "I think it's cute that you think I know how many watts my microwave is."

Andy, How far ahead can you make this? I'm having friends over on Labor Day and this looks like something I'd like to make.

Andy, How far ahead can you make this? I'm having friends over on Labor Day and this looks like something I'd like to make.

Hmmm, good question. I usually make it the day before. It keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days as I eat it for lunch and dinner to finish it off.

I would think you could substitute any cream - style dressings that nave a dry counterpart--Caesar, creamy Italian, etc. I don't buy salad dressings, but for those who do, there is lots of room to play with this.

I often play with recipes CWS, I think most of us do.

In the case of this recipe, I wanted to follow it exactly as I trust the author, and I can't see any way I would want to improve it. Too often we try to make a recipe "better" before we've given the recipe as it was written a chance. JMO

I can see adding anchovies, capers and parm cheese with a Caesar dressing; some Italian cured meat and parm for an Italian flair. I don't know if there is a powdered blue cheese dressing, but I love blue cheese dressing as the dip for fries and often make potato salad with homemade blue cheese buttermilk dressing.

This recipe sounds really good. Stirling thinks so too. I'm figuring out how to modify it, because I don't buy dressings. The part with 1/2 a cup of dressing is easy. I'm figuring out how to substitute for the "1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix". Does anyone know the weight of a packet of the mix?

Back
Top Bottom