"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Its a great day when a low fat dressing is considered less healthy than the real thing.
I don't count calories anyway, so I always buy the regular. I usually make my own vinaigrette, but always keep some bottled creamy dressing in the fridge like blue cheese.
Lately I have been on a Catalina kick. I am even using it as a dipping sauce for my chicken tenders.
Years ago there was a chicken wing recipe (chicken wings were not very popular then) consisting of French dressing poured over the wings and baked.
I do not remember if it was regular French or Catalina. But the wings were covered heavily in dressing then baked.

We had these wings at the reception for my first wedding.

RandomFirefly. Just eating at the salad bar for lunch gets a thumbs up from me. Even if you fill your plate with pepperoni.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
I know this is an older post, but since I'm just finding my way around... I landed here. I love salads... or love the way I make them. I recently retired, but my former company had a great salad bar... which I avoided. I just couldn't justify what I was paying for it. I brought my lunch every day, and often brought a nice salad. I think your salad is perfect. The few things that we might be careful with (egg & sunflower seeds) you didn't overdo. And a good choice of dressing. I don't buy bottled dressings, but when at work, sometimes you just don't have a choice. If you start investigating other ingredients and healthy home made dressings, you might enjoy a salad now and then at home too.

JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Its a great day when a low fat dressing is considered less healthy than the real thing.
Agreed! Who ever said low fat dressing is healthier anyway? I don't buy dressings either. If I have a creamy dressing, I've found some recipes to make them healthier AND delicious. But I'll never compromise flavor or quality regardless. There's a family recipe started by mom, and now my daughter & I both make it... for a basic dressing. I've been able to take a servings worth of that, add other ingredients and end up with a totally different dressing. Sorry... you'll find I do tend to rattle on a bit... it's a curse.
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Congrats on trying to eat healthy. But you are going to defeat your own efforts by one simple food. The dressings you choose. If you are not enjoying the dressings then sooner or later you are going to stop trying to eat healthy. Go for the whole dressings. Are you really saving on the calories or the fat ? You are all grown up now. You don't have to sit there and eat something you don't like.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Head Chef
Panzanella is a great Italian salad using ciabatta bread baked into croutons. Served warm!

Cut half a ciabatta loaf into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl with about 1 tablespoon oil. Mix till coated then bake at Mk. 6 on an oiled tray, centre shelf, along with 5 oz. cherry tomatoes. When tomato skins split and tomatoes soften - about 10 minutes, remove from oven.

Whilst this is baking, cube red pepper into salad bowl and add olives and chopped celery. Mix well and add the croutons and tomatoes.

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote

other, salad