REC: Italian Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Italian Dressing: use the cruet with measure lines. EVOO, wine vinegar,
use 1/2 package of the Good Seasonings. A little balsamic vinegar. And if you like some of the ingredients Uncle Bob uses in his recipe. This will make a smaller amount. I leave mine on the kitchen counter. Gone in a couple of
salads.

Uncle Bob said:
I added 3 or maybe 4 anchovy fillets tonight...You are right...Fantastic!!
Glad you agree Uncle Bob. I have made it 2 more times since then and just love it. I think I'll try 3 anchovy fillets next time. I have only been using one. Great with homemade croutons also-- they soak up the dressing and the flavor is wonderful.

lovecd said:
Glad you agree Uncle Bob. I have made it 2 more times since then and just love it. I think I'll try 3 anchovy fillets next time. I have only been using one. Great with homemade croutons also-- they soak up the dressing and the flavor is wonderful.

:LOL: Night before last I made a batch and used a whole can of Anchovy.
I am beginning to sread it on french bread...I am hooked!!

Skits-O-phreniC said:
Would this be a good Italian dressing to marinate chicken in? Sounds interesting.

Skits...

I would not recommend the recipe that I posted as marinade for chicken.
I don't think it would do a good job. However; depending on how you prepare your chicken it could be used as a "sauce" of sorts. Maybe on the side. I love the stuff and can eat it on just about anything. First time try it on a salad or maybe to dip bread in...then you can let your imagination take to.............

Do enjoy..!!

Skits-O-phreniC said:
Would this be a good Italian dressing to marinate chicken in? Sounds interesting.

I agree with Uncle Bob. I think this dressing would be great served as a sauce over grilled chicken, but I would not recommend using it as a marinade. Hope you enjoy it!

I always use dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic, red wine vinegar, garlic and whatever herbs (usually basil, thyme, and oregano) I have on hand. I love it but I am going to try some of these ides to spice it up!

Uncle Bob said:
2 Jars Small Capers... 3-4 oz jars
6-8 toes ga-lick
8 oz EVOO
Fesh ground black pepper

Blend capers and ga-lick
add oil...add pepper

No salt needed...as capers and juice take care of that!

Ya'll Enjoy this one!

This is the beginning of the best Caesar dressing! Add some fresh grated Parmesan cheese, a few shakes of red wine vinegar, a little egg substitue, some Dijon mustard and you've got a great Caesar salad dressing!

I can't wait to try this Uncle Bob - it sounds lovely. How about your recipe drizzled over some grilled salmon?

Miss Elf

:ohmy: Drizzled over salmon!!! I have not thought of that one. I do thank you for the idea...Salmon is on the menu for tonight so guess what I am gonna do:LOL:

Last batch I did use a splash or two of vinegar...It was a little thick, maybe from a whole can Anchovy that I added..:rolleyes:

Do Enjoy!!

LEFSElover, you will LOVE this. I am curious to all posters, why wouldn't this be good as a marinade for chicken? I slathered this all over a pork roast Monday night and it was fantastic! I was going to try chicken but now I am leary.........

As a marinade for adding flavor. Let your taste buds be your guide. It’s Delicious!
As a marinade for tenderizing. Minimal effectiveness. It can be costly!!
As a finishing sauce for fish, pork, beef, or chicken. It's Priceless!!!

Last edited:
Okay I did it. I put five fairly large chicken breasts and some dressing in a sealed bag for about an hour and half. I baked the chicken at 350 degrees in a convection oven until 180 degrees. I topped the chicken with some mozzarella and some diced tomatoes, evoo, basil, oregano and s&p - the result: YUMMMMMM! The chicken was very flavorful!

Uncle Bob said:
2 Jars Small Capers... 3-4 oz jars
6-8 toes ga-lick
8 oz EVOO
Fesh ground black pepper

Blend capers and ga-lick
add oil...add pepper

No salt needed...as capers and juice take care of that!

Ya'll Enjoy this one!

Is it possible to substitute the capers with some plain vinegar and salt? If so, I wonder in what proportions...

Something like 1/4 portion vinegar to 3/4 portion of Evoo plus garlic, salt and pepper would give you a simple and basic vinaigrette. However, without the capers you would have changed the recipe entirely. Two completely different dressings. Both good, but very different. Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom