REC--Papaya and Avocado Crab Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Papaya and Avocado Crab Salad

1 poblano chile, halved and seeded
1 medium jalapeño pepper, halved
1 cup diced peeled papaya
1 cup diced peeled avocado
2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
1 garlic clove, minced
6 (6-inch) pitas, split

Preheat broiler.

Place chile and pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined broiler pan; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and finely chop; place in a large bowl. Add papaya and next 7 ingredients (through garlic); toss gently to combine. Serve with pitas.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup salad and 1 pita)

Making it Friday

Your recipe sounds excellent and I think I will make it Friday.

Something I will do, when I have time, is take large flour tortillas and make chips. They are different than any chip you can buy and guests love them. I love them.

• Large flour tortilla wrappers
• Butter, melted
• Course sea salt
• Optional herbs and spices if you want to really jazz it up.

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Take tortilla and brush both sides with melted butter. Cut into chip sized shapes and place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake about 10 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Flip and bake until other side is light brown as well (maybe 4 more minutes). Make sure to keep a close eye on them because the difference between light brown and dark brown is about a minute.

Remove from oven and add fresh herbs if you like. Fresh thyme or oregano is excellent as well as a shake of garlic powder. This may be really good with your salad although I will be using pita as suggested.

Take care,
bryan

Bryan - ever make your own tortillas? My cousin GarlicGoddess (you'll probably see her on, later this week) is the queen of tortillas, IMO. They'd make fabulous chips!!!

BTW, PA, another excellent recipe, but I'm thinking chicken instead of crab (no swimmy-thingies on my plate!)

jkath said:
BTW, PA, another excellent recipe, but I'm thinking chicken instead of crab (no swimmy-thingies on my plate!)

Thanks jkath! I've gotten to where I'm always on avocado recipe watch for you! :)

jkath said:
Bryan - ever make your own tortillas? My cousin GarlicGoddess (you'll probably see her on, later this week) is the queen of tortillas, IMO. They'd make fabulous chips!!!

Yes I have made tortillas and still do sometimes.

For anyone waiting for a critique of the Papaya, Avocado Crab salad, your wait is over. Although I thought the avocado I bought was not ripe enough and the papaya a little to ripe I thought this salad was excellent. We ate it seved on a baked tortilla with a lettuce leaf between the salad and the tortilla. Once I began to put it together I realized the recipe is reminiscent of Ceviche without the wait.

I added a little more cilatro than the recipe called for but besides that I followed it to the letter.

Thanks for the recipe. I thought it was really, really, REALLY tasty asd a pretty dish as well. I will be making again.

This recipe could be good with chicken but to tell you the truth, with it's tropical flavors I would want to try it with scallops and shrimp or even conch (if I could find it locally).

Bryan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom