"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I make a pretty mean red potatoe salad, so I'm told. It's good with idoho potatoes too, or any potatoe. I think the secret, my aunt told me long ago, is baking the potatoes and not boiling them. It just gives it a better flavor and doesn't mush up as much as boiled. But I put the chopped celery, purple onion, chopped bacon (not store bought bits) chopped dill weed, chopped boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, mayo, tad of mustard, and tad of cider vineager. Salt, pepper and I top it with Smoked Chili powder instead of paprika, especially if it's with BBA.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I made this one day after I watched "Guys Big Bite". Go to foodnetwork.com and search for
Goody Girl Championship Potatoes

Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri

These are GREAT! Something really different.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks y'all!

Here's what I am going with:

For 2.5 lb taters

1/2 cup mayo
3 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp red or white vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup onion
2 grn onion
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup red bell pepper
4 boiled eggs
1 tsp sugar
3tbsp parsley
salt
pepper

Might have to add a secret ingredient too.. hmmmm....
;)
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just my two cents - apple cider vinegar would be better than white. Your secret ingredient (it is one of my favorite herbs) could be tarragon. Don't forget that it appears dill weed is key in Red Bliss Potato Salad. What happened to the bacon? Oh...I had it on my grilled cheese...sorry!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Head Chef

So it turned out to be a mostly vegetarian crowd, and my bacon-ated tater salad was shunned by all but a few, sigh.
I think it turned out OK. Might mix in some dill and see what happens, that could be good!
Oh, I wasn't the only one.. someone brought a crock pot of BBQ meatballs. They were excellent and I ate quite a few!
Oh well, still had a good time, met new people and listened to some actual back porch bluegrass mandolin and guitar!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
So it turned out to be a mostly vegetarian crowd, and my bacon-ated tater salad was shunned by all but a few, sigh.
I think it turned out OK. Might mix in some dill and see what happens, that could be good!
Oh, I wasn't the only one.. someone brought a crock pot of BBQ meatballs. They were excellent and I ate quite a few!
Oh well, still had a good time, met new people and listened to some actual back porch bluegrass mandolin and guitar!
sorry the salad didn't go over. to me i don't really think tater salad needs bacon but it sounds interesting!! look at it this way ... you liked it and you had some to take home!! if they all liked it you wouldn't be able to enjoy it tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well...I bet it was good. I always think it is polite to give a heads up when vegetarians are present. MOST things can be made to suit a vegetarian without much effort. Sorry!

Msmofet - the only thing about this potato salad is bacon is a part of it. I don't think bacon needs to be in potato salad either. I also didn't think bacon needed to be part of an egg salad sandwich either..........UNTIL TONIGHT!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Well...I bet it was good. I always think it is polite to give a heads up when vegetarians are present. MOST things can be made to suit a vegetarian without much effort. Sorry!

Msmofet - the only thing about this potato salad is bacon is a part of it. I don't think bacon needs to be in potato salad either. I also didn't think bacon needed to be part of an egg salad sandwich either..........UNTIL TONIGHT!
well now, bacon and eggs go together like peas and carrots!! LOL
Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

GrillingFool - you have absolutely NOTHING to feel bad about - I'm sure your salad was DELICIOUS. Frankly, what happened was that you were duped (thru negligent hosts) into bringing a specific potato salad recipe whose primary ingredient was BACON to what turned out to be a primarily vegetarian party.

This is the fault of your hosts, NOT YOU.

And for those of you who don't feel "bacon needs to be a part of a potato salad", you obviously have never had an excellent German Potato Salad or authentic Red Bliss Potato Salad. How sad.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
Master Chef

german potato salad hot or cold is fine IF you like that thing. (personally i think the german pot salads are nasty yellow colored overly wet mustard flavored and yucky but to each their own) but there are aslo many american potato salads made WITH red potatoes without bacon or wet mustard that are EXCELLENT!!

Tags
None