Rhone-Alps Walnut and Pancetta Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPierce

Assistant Cook
I was inspired by a salad I had in Grenoble quite a few years ago. I know I did not duplicate it; however the result has received good reviews when I have served it. I was reminded of this recipe today while booking another trip to Grenoble. Enjoy!!!

Ingredients

Raw Walnuts or Pecans (original recipe called for Walnuts; however we had pecans)
1 small package pancetta (5-6 slices)
1 small package of prosciutto (around 4 slices)
Mixed Greens (I used a combo of mixed greens and sliced romaine)
Croutons
Olive Oil (3 parts compared with 1 part balsamic)
Balsamic Vinegar (1 part compared with 3 parts olive oil)
Shredded parmesan cheese
Thinly sliced red onions, than halved so you get slivers
Directions

Cut the pancetta (italian bacon) into 1/4 inch pieces, does not need to be exact, want to make sure there are enough pieces to mix through the salad
Fry the bacon and raw nuts together to mix the flavors
At the same time bake the prosciutto in the oven on a baking sheet layered with tin foil or something else to protect the pan.
I did it at 350 and it took 5 minutes, very quick ->there might be an on-line recipe for baked prosciutto that would have better directions. I had to throw a couple pieces away because it was too done.
Looking to get the prosciutto crispy so that you can crumble it

Clean and toss the greens

Add bacon, nuts, prosciutto, onion, croutons, salad dressing (oil and balsamic vinegar), parmesan cheese and toss

I don't have all the exact amounts since I put it together by site and the amount I liked any particular ingredient; e.g. parmesan cheese I like.

Guess on amounts
Nuts 1/2 a cup
Onion, about 6 thin slices
Croutons 1/2 a cup
Lettuce, I measured out for 6 on a salad plate
Olive Oil, balsamic vinegar combo, it ended up being a little more than 1/2 a coffee cup
Recommendations, someone mentioned there is a French bacon that is thicker that might be good alternative to the Italian bacon.
I liked the pecans better than the walnuts; however you can't go wrong with either.
The addition of the chopped romaine instead of just mixed greens is a definite, or another crunchy lettuce.

Back
Top Bottom