"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Rice Vinegar

Can someone give me an explanation for the following. I have had a bottle of Maruchan (Yellow Top) Seasoned Rice Vinegar in my pantry. When I bought it, it was clear. Now it is dark brown. I have the feeling it has turned into Saki. And is it safe to use? If it is Saki, I will be showing it the door very quickly.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Can someone give me an explanation for the following. I have had a bottle of Maruchan (Yellow Top) Seasoned Rice Vinegar in my pantry. When I bought it, it was clear. Now it is dark brown. I have the feeling it has turned into Saki. And is it safe to use? If it is Saki, I will be showing it the door very quickly.
I think the "wine" (saki) came before the vinegar. I'd show it the door um, err circular file either way.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I think the "wine" (saki) came before the vinegar. I'd show it the door um, err circular file either way.
Thanks. That is all I needed. Just one person telling me to toss it. I am on my way to my counter to do it right now. But first it will go down the sink drain.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Well my curiosity got the better of me. So of course I had to Google it. And this came up.

Seasoned rice vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the brand that I usually buy. But I normally get the green capped one. It is not seasoned for salads. It seems that Saki is one of the ingredients. The reason I like the rice vinegar is because it is not as strong as our regular vinegars. Although I am partial sometimes to Cider vinegar. Will do some more research. If all Chinese vinegars contain Saki, I will go with the cider vinegar. Will get back to you all on this. It pays to know your ingredients.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Addie, the plain (unseasoned) rice vinegar is just vinegar. No sake.

I buy the unseasoned as it's more versatile.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, it seems that there is a black Chinese vinegar. Also Red. But not being sure if mine had turned into black vinegar or just gone bad, I sent it down the drain and the bottle in the trash. Unseasoned has just water added to it. No sake, sugar or any other ingredient. That I can live with. Under Additional Specifications it stated that, "No, there are no batteries in this product." Good to know.

But in my research, I saw a great recipe for Chinese Potato Salad. For those who like some heat with their food, this would be right up your alley. You can find the recipe at the Marukan site under their recipes. I will pass on the chili paste, but saw some other additions that I will be putting in mine from here on in.

I learned a lot about Chinese Rice Vinegar today along with the difference between Rice Wine and Rice Vinegar.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, the plain (unseasoned) rice vinegar is just vinegar. No sake.

I buy the unseasoned as it's more versatile.
Thanks Andy. I have already put it on my grocery list for next month's shopping. I have always assumed that Saki was an alcoholic Asian drink. I may be wrong and am probably so. So it did dismay me when I saw that it is included in the Seasoned Vinegar along with sugar. The fewer ingredients, the better. If I want to take up drinking Saki, I will do it on my own.

Will have to Google Saki now.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...the difference between Rice Wine and Rice Vinegar.
Addie, as far as I know, they are the same thing.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, as far as I know, they are the same thing.
Not according to the Marukan Site. I too was surprised to find that statement. It started out with "Let's make this clear. Rice wine is not rice vinegar." Or something to that effect.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Not according to the Marukan Site. I too was surprised to find that statement. It started out with "Let's make this clear. Rice wine is not rice vinegar." Or something to that effect.

If fermented rice or rice wine is the starting point, you still end up with vinegar - acetic acid.

Tags
rice, vinegar