"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

Romaine recall

Is there a romaine lettuce recall right now in the US? We've just had one start due to suspected e coli..it's gonna be a pain in the backside for the deli..all the other types of lettuce will be three to four times the price also...

Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
Head Chef

For now it looks like its just Canada.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
For now it looks like its just Canada.
Interesting because most of our lettuce this time of year comes from California..
Old 12-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

Additional info:

Canadians warned to avoid romaine lettuce until further notice | Food Safety News
Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Interesting because most of our lettuce this time of year comes from California..
Ykies...since I'm in California I'd sure like to know the answer to this! We grow so much of North America's produce, it's urgent the source is tracked down and announced. I wonder why there seems to be no word on this?
Personally, I buy nothing but romaine lettuce.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Ykies...since I'm in California I'd sure like to know the answer to this! We grow so much of North America's produce, it's urgent the source is tracked down and announced. I wonder why there seems to be no word on this?
Based on the article tenspeed posted, I'm guessing there hasn't been an alert in the United States because there have been no reports of e. Coli infection here. They haven't been able to track down the source yet. It could be from Mexico.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Based on the article tenspeed posted, I'm guessing there hasn't been an alert in the United States because there have been no reports of e. Coli infection here. They haven't been able to track down the source yet. It could be from Mexico.
I sure hope that's the case and we are safe because we have had a lot of romaine in the last several days on the way of Caesar salad and Greek salad.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
If you wash your lettuce in city water that is chlorinated and regulated, you should be okay. That may change, as "regulations" seem to be a four-letter-word with the current powers that be, but a good wash in tap water in almost all municipalities should be enough to kill e-coli.

CD
Old 12-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
If you wash your lettuce in city water that is chlorinated and regulated, you should be okay. That may change, as "regulations" seem to be a four-letter-word with the current powers that be, but a good wash in tap water in almost all municipalities should be enough to kill e-coli.
It helps, but bacteria have a lot of places to hide in foods like lettuce.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #10
Head Chef

I usually buy bagged salad. I like the "Mainly Romaine" type bagged salad mixes. About bagged salads in general, I bought a bag and it tasted like dirt. That brand didn't before. I bought a salad spinner to wash it better. Which leads me to thinking it tasted like dirt because they skipped one or more rinsing steps in their processing. Not good if bad bacteria aren't thoroughly rinsed off. I know I should salad spin every bagged salad regardless, but some bagged salads ARE well rinsed (don't have a dirt aftertaste). I'm too lazy to, at times, to rinse. It may cost me a sickness someday, not using my salad spinner on EVERY bagged salad I buy, I realize that. P.S. It took me 3 complete salad spinner washes to get rid of that dirt salad taste, one salad spinner rinse didn't remove the dirt taste. I believe that bagged salad brand was "Fresh Express" not sure (a big player in bagged salads). It was one of those major suppliers of bagged salads to supermarkets.

Tags
maine