Romaine: this is my question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
Romaine is known to be high in calcium. My question is: must you eat all those cores and stems to reap the benefits or can I just eat the leaves minus the stems, etc? I hate to get all that junk in my salad. I don't even like the cores and stems in lettuce, cabbage, etc.

I would say that the calcium would be spread throughout the green leafy parts of the lettuce rather than just being concentrated in the thicker core since they are the same part of the plant (rather than one being say the seeds, and the other being the leaves...if you know what I mean).

Myself personally find the thicker stem part of the cos lettuce (or romaine as you call it) is more appealing than the stem in other types of leafy greens, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

The green leafy parts have more vitamins, but I love the crunchy bits of the center area, much like Romaine lettuce.

Spinach actually has twice the amount of calcium of romaine lettuce. Do you like spinach salads? Broccoli also has more calcium per ounce than romaine.

Are you trying to get more calcium in your diet or was this just more of a general question about eating romaine to get the most nutrition from it?

It was a very general question. I do like all greens, but enjoy romaine as a base in many salads and more often than spinach or most other greens. What made me think of this was in a package of ready to eat romaine, I noticed an inordinate amount of stems included. I know it probably is there because of the weight. I buy hearts of romaine most of the time, but if the bagged mixes are on sale at a good price, I sometimes give in. Sometimes I like a salad with nothing but greens and sometimes I load them up with every good thing. My mom always says I eat like a rabbit. How did I accumulate these extra pounds? Don't answer, I know!

Greens

Every day and I mean EVERY day EXCEPT for Fridays I have to fix lunches. They ask for salads. I mix spring greens, romaine, endive and there is new one which comes in plastic container (that is so soft like piece of cloth). Also tomatoes, red pepper, etc. Takes time to fix but the bowls come home empty so I continue. The dressing is the only change I make daily. When something is done with the hope that it is adding to good health, doesn't seem to be a job. Oh, they eat sunflower seeds for snacks w/fruit beside.

Good thing you 'eat like rabbit' not many do. Don't give up! A person can always see a difference when they are paying attention to what they eat. Look at Jack LaLanne. In his 90's. He walks alone

I think you're talking about Boston lettuce, Kitchen. It's usually hydroponically grown, so it's very clean. It is very succulent and delicious!

Jack Lalaine is cool...I did exercises every morning with him after I had my babies, and he really helped me get back in shape.

Informed

Constance said:
I think you're talking about Boston lettuce, Kitchen. It's usually hydroponically grown, so it's very clean. It is very succulent and delicious!

Jack Lalaine is cool...I did exercises every morning with him after I had my babies, and he really helped me get back in shape.

Thanks Constance, you sure know everything! That is exactly what I am talking about. YOu like it? Just recently noticed it in the store and now seems everybody buying it. Only one left yesterday. Clean is the right description that makes me want to get it. Just the feel of it is different. oh, succulent and delicious sounds nice too. I just mix it with the rest cause to make whole salad they would get tired of it. Just wonderful.

Jack sure made everyone's world different. I get his exercise routines on a cable station. He likes dogs too. Has them on the show with him. He never seems to take break only at the end. Really have to keep up with him. If he got you back in shape, makes you feel that his efforts weren't in vain. His brother isn't at all like him. Got to see them once together.

Thanks you for response.

Oh honey, I'm a long way from knowing everything...in fact, the older I get, the more I realize how little I do know. That's why I keep trying to learn.

Back
Top Bottom