Salad Dressing Experiment -_-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
So. I made this experimental dressing today.

Ingredients
1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil or more
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Honey or maple syrup (I used maple syrup and it turned out great!)
2 Tbs Djon mustard
3 cloves of Garlic
2 Tbs Rosemary
salt and pepper

Directions
1. Throw everything but oil into the blender
2. Blend!
3. Add in oil slowly as it is blending to emulsify the oil into everything
4. Taste! Might need some adjustment of sweetness or salt.

I feel like it is missing something and has a little too much of vinegar.
I didn't really get the exact measurements so please help me ^_^ much appreciated.

Although the ratio of oil to acid is a matter of taste, most basic recipes begin at 3 parts oil to 1 part acid. You might consider reducing the amount of vinegar you use.

A very basic vinaigrette will use oil and vinegar, a bit of dijon, salt and pepper and maybe a garlic and a pinch of sugar. A t of chicken stock or soy sauce are "restaurant secrets" to make it more savory.

Personally, adding 1/4 cup of honey or syrup would be WAY to sweet for my taste, especially with the balsamic vineagar. But that's also a matter of taste.

Also, 2 tablespoons of rosemary seems overpowering to me.

Anyway, for the "missing something" component, try adding, soy sauce, anchovy paste, chicken stock, a bit of white miso, or worcestershire sauce. They will all add savoryness (umami) to your dressing

I go at least 3 to 1 for the Oil/Vinegar ratio. I also prefer to use a neutral-tasting oil such as Canola for my vinaigrettes.

A basic recipe I use is...

1-T White Wine Vinegar
1-T Dijon Mustard
1/2-t Kosher Salt
1/2-t White Sugar
1/4-C Canola Oil
1-T Minced Shallot

Whisk the first four together, then drop by drop whisk in the oil.
Add the shallot last.

For herbs, I will mince one (as in a single) leaf of tarragon along with a few chives - but usually I stick to the basic recipe above (sometimes even leaving out the shallot, or replacing it with a 1/4-tsp of garlic paste).

EDIT: With roasted meats, I will often sub half the oil (2-T) for 2-T (or more) of rendered meat fat. I love doing this with bacon drippings and swapping the white wine vinegar for red. Makes a great BLT salad.

Back
Top Bottom