Salad ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
What salad would go best with lasagna and Italian dishes? I've been asked to make a salad for 35 people with an Italian twist to it. More vegetables and greens are preferred to go with the many pasta dishes that will be served. I would greatly appreciate suggestions on a killer salad. Thanks.

A vegetable antipasto salad would be great with that - Recipes : Antipasto Salad : Food Network Just leave out the meat. HTH.
carrot.gif

Dina,
when we do a heavy pasta dish like ravioli, we will have an anti pasto platter before hand..Then at meal time the salad is very simple so as not to over power the pasta..A simple salad of mixed lettuces, bib, red, some arugula, with a handfull of chopped parsley a little bit of thin sliced red onion and if in season some tomato wedges or during the winter those sweet grape tomatoes..Toss with just a good evoo,red wine vinegar and salt and pepper..
Simple but tasty and it just hold hands with the pasta..
kadesma

Like kadesma said... The anti-pasto is generally first. With the pasta itself a light salad as described... we generally eat the green salad after the meal

to my preference not much more than some nice field greens, thinly sliced red onion and some tomato or red peppers. Usually with a very simple olive oil & Balsamic dressing

lasagna is so savory that a crisp bright fresh salad is a great counterpoint... keep it simple.

What my mom does, is make what she calls a ' super salad' . Basic salad ingredients ( lettuce , cucumbers, red onion, grape tomatoes) In addition she adds some marinated mushrooms, marinated artichoke hearts, black olives , small cubes of mozzarella cheese with an Italian , vinegar-based dressing ( usually good seasons Italian dressing). Its a hit each time. But what she does is Hide all the marinated vegetables and olives under all the lettuce so me and my brother ( 39 and 43) dont pick them out before dinner. This worked 20 years ago, but my brother and I have since figured it out, and sneak our share prior to dinner , but shhhhhh, she hasnt caught on yet so dont tell her !!!

I started this thread a little while ago. The DW and I have been experimenting alot with different salads. Believe it or not, alot of different things go well with one another in a salad. I like to put different fruits in mine like diced apple and grapes. We use different nuts, sometimes toasted to give even more flavor.

Leave out the veggies and pair the lettuce with some tangerine sections and sliced strawberries. Cover with a few chopped walnuts and sprinkle black fig vinegar on top---you can add oil to your taste if you like but not necessary. Not only is it visually appealing but the taste is wonderful and pairs well with pasta and all kinds other dishes. The other salads suggestions are great, too.

Back
Top Bottom