Salad modification ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster1200xl

Assistant Cook
So I tend to make the same salad all the time and could use some suggestions on a way to change one or two ingredients. I'm putting in: lettuce, celery, tomatoes, carrot, bell pepper, and cucumber, with feta cheese, olive oil, salt, and vinaigrette. (The family likes salt on the salad.)

Any suggestions on something to add or change on this? I could probably add another ingredient as there's usually no leftovers which means I could make more.

There are so many choices/variations, so I'll list a few: You could add some sliced sweet onion or scallions, black olives, mushrooms, and extra sharp cheddar or goat cheese instead of feta. If you want a main dish salad, you could add chickpeas or cooked, sliced chicken breasts. Also, some fresh herbs are always good.

Black or kalamata olives, baby corn cut into bite sized pieces, Marinated artichoke quarters, baby marinated mushrooms.

My mom makes a salad with all the above ingredients in it. She buries the above ingredients under the lettuce in a huge family sized salad bowl so we wont pick at them until the salad is served . If we do pick at it, she still yells at us as if we were kids ( in our 40's now).

Occasionally, my dad will sprinkle some chopped fresh dill on top, but some of the kids object to its flavor.

Oh yeah, and my mom refers to it as as " super salad"

Google Trader Joe's Kale Salad. there are several versions out there. But mainly Kale, soy beans, Craisins, with a garlic, mustard vinegarette. Nice change up on the standard salad.

Chopped hardboiled egg, any kind of beans, green, yellow, nuts. Apple slices, orange or mandarin sections, snow peas, just about anything else you like to eat raw.

Last edited:
Spinach salad, change up the greens you use. I was thinking craisins, raisins, dried or fresh fruits - sweet and salty is good. Smoked almonds. Tuna, chicken, diced deli meats and cheeses.

i love sliced "pucks" of goat cheese that have been pressed in toasted breadcrumbs on a salad.

or dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) are good, too.

how about some flaked smoked fish? anchovies?

We like to add French's fried onions (you know those ones you put on top of the green bean casserole). They add a nice flavorful crunch. We also like bacon bits, Gorgonzola cheese instead of feta, black beans, sunflower seeds, sesame sticks, potato sticks, peas (not canned).

Is it just me? I haven't noticed anyone mention small pieces of crisp bacon.

I also like finely shredded cabbage, red, green, savoy, whatever kind and cauliflower in small pieces.

I've been meaning to try adding a little bit of frozen baby peas and assume that they will be defrosted by the time we eat the salad.

Last edited:
I like salad with cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, frozen peas, some type of fruit, and some salty meat. Chia seeds are good too, but check your teeth after eating!

I just rinse the frozen peas in a colander to defrost.

Last edited:
I find that changing up the dressing makes a big difference in alleviating boredom.

A few examples you might try:

• Honey mustard
  • Yogurt-based dressings
  • Different vinegars (red wine vs. balsamic vs. tarragon vinegar)
  • Use different elements in your vinaigrette. For example, instead of lemon juice and oregano, try lime juice and cilantro, or orange juice and ginger.

I had a dressing the other day that was really good...ranch dressing with pureed tomatillo mixed in and a splash of tabasco.

We like roasted red peppers and capers in our salad. I like to put grated fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on mine; DH likes feta.

Make different cuisine salads:

- Greek with the ingredients you're using now - I sometimes use tzatziki for the dressing
- Thai with rice noodles, cukes, shredded carrots, baby shrimp, basil, and ginger dressing
- Southwest with corn, black beans, sliced zucchini, Monterey Jack cheese and lime-cilantro dressing

Hth.

I find that changing up the dressing makes a big difference in alleviating boredom.

A few examples you might try:

• Honey mustard
  • Yogurt-based dressings
  • Different vinegars (red wine vs. balsamic vs. tarragon vinegar)
  • Use different elements in your vinaigrette. For example, instead of lemon juice and oregano, try lime juice and cilantro, or orange juice and ginger.
I agree that changing up the dressing makes a big difference. I meant to write that. :rolleyes:

I like adding avocado, lemon or lime zest, just about any kind of nut or seed, onion greens, crushed fresh garlic, grated cheeses (any kind), edamane (soy beans), sultanas, shrimp (obviously cooked and cooled), chickpeas/black beans/pinto beans, frozen fruit (berries) that have been rinsed, fresh fruit segments, grated raw baby beets, and mixing up different combinations of vinaigrette. I will use walnut oil instead of EVOO or a flavored EVOO. Just about anything goes on a salad, but I discovered the DH doesn't care for green grapes in a salad.

TL--I add frozen peas to pasta salads all the time.

Lots of good suggestions already. If you can find asparagus that is thin, no bigger around than a pencil, it's a good addition. I just cut off the tougher bottom and then cut the rest into bite size pieces. Snap peas or snow peas are good in a salad. I like kidney beans in salad. Just about any kind of cheese that you can crumble or shred is good. Using cottage cheese in place of the dressing is good. Shelled pumpkin seeds and pine nuts are good. Sliced yellow crook-neck and zuchini are nice.

Another way to change it up is to adjust the size of the pieces of vegetable. Cutting up all the veggies into really smal but still bigger than minced size pieces lets you get more of a variety on your fork at once and that changes the flavor. Large chunks let you focus on each individual vegetable.

You can also try marinating some of your veggies (cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.) in a dressing with various herbs and spices before adding them to the salad. You can start them in the morning or the night before. Kind of like a quick pickling.

Tortilla strips, croutons, crisp floured and fried peppers, crisp noodles or even crushed crackers can add crunch and inerest.

You can also add hot items at serving time like a heated dressing, cooked veggies, cooked meat, homemade croutons to add variety. You can try searving the salad over something like garlic and oil pasta or herbed rice.

Last edited:
So I tend to make the same salad all the time and could use some suggestions on a way to change one or two ingredients. I'm putting in: lettuce, celery, tomatoes, carrot, bell pepper, and cucumber, with feta cheese, olive oil, salt, and vinaigrette. (The family likes salt on the salad.)

Any suggestions on something to add or change on this? I could probably add another ingredient as there's usually no leftovers which means I could make more.

I would skip the oil, since you have vinaigrette, & replace the salt with freshly-ground black pepper.

I let the Produce section of the market be my guide (both fruits & vegetables), using fresh in-season ingredients.

You might like this asparagus & tomato salad:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/asparagus-tomato-salad-with-variations-82689.html

You could sub the lettuce w/ fresh baby spinach, add some hearts of palm or garbanzo beans-- or fresh fruit like strawberries or cherries (w/ fennel), & goat cheese. Try a combo of different fruit, i.e. mangos & blueberries.

Grilled or roasted vegetables make a good salad, i.e. eggplant & tomatoes.

Think fresh & in season, & let your imagination & tastebuds be your guide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom