"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't think that MC was using the phrase "original poster" to refer to the person who started the thread. I might be wrong. That wasn't how I read it because, I felt that the mayo and ketchup comment might have been having a laugh at our expense.

I agree with that Taxi. However, regardless of who MC was insulting when, she was out of line on all counts.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #42
Master Chef

To me summer salad is what I grew up with was/is
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Green Onions
Radishes
Dill
for dressing it could be sour cream or mayo, or simply oil and vinegar
salt and pepper to taste. It is simple, fresh ingredients make this salad very pleasant.
Even my kids like it.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #43
Sous Chef

I wish I had the last two ingredients - can't get them in Italy - I'm not sure what green onions are either, could they be what we call 'spring onions'?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
I wish I had the last two ingredients - can't get them in Italy - I'm not sure what green onions are either, could they be what we call 'spring onions'?

di reston

Green onions are also called scallions.

What's the Difference Between Scallions, Green Onions, and Spring Onions?

More About Scallions and Green Onions

Green onions and scallions are actually the same thing! They are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs.

Scallions are long, with a white stem end that does not bulge out. They have an onion-y but mild bite that is not as intense as regular onions (the white parts contain the most intense flavor). They can be used raw or cooked, and while some cooks discard the darker green tops, the whole thing can be eaten, and is often used in Asian cooking.

Scallions are usually available year-round. Look for a bright color, undamaged leaves, and firm stem ends.

More About Spring Onions

Spring onions, on the other hand, look similar to scallions, but you'll notice that they have small onion bulbs at the base. These onions come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word "spring" in the name.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Green onions are also called scallions.

What's the Difference Between Scallions, Green Onions, and Spring Onions?

More About Scallions and Green Onions

Green onions and scallions are actually the same thing! They are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs.

Scallions are long, with a white stem end that does not bulge out. They have an onion-y but mild bite that is not as intense as regular onions (the white parts contain the most intense flavor). They can be used raw or cooked, and while some cooks discard the darker green tops, the whole thing can be eaten, and is often used in Asian cooking.

Scallions are usually available year-round. Look for a bright color, undamaged leaves, and firm stem ends.

More About Spring Onions

Spring onions, on the other hand, look similar to scallions, but you'll notice that they have small onion bulbs at the base. These onions come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word "spring" in the name.
Great info. However, that may not apply in languages other than English. In Denmark, scallions are called, "forårsløg", which literally means "spring onions".

On the other hand, for almost all recipes, they are interchangeable. Even the sprouts from a mature onion can be used in many recipes calling for those types of onions.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #46
Master Chef

Yes and yes to two last posts. In Russia they are called Yong onions, because they just came out of the soil.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Thanks for the information - very useful, all the more because you all give details that are very interesting. Having said that, we still can't get scallions, or spring onions, so I have to make do with red onions - definitely not the same.

And may I add, you all post information that is always interesting and a pleasure to read.

di reston

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Thanks for the information - very useful, all the more because you all give details that are very interesting. Having said that, we still can't get scallions, or spring onions, so I have to make do with red onions - definitely not the same.

And may I add, you all post information that is always interesting and a pleasure to read.

di reston

If you can get shallots, they are much milder in flavor than onions, although they really can’t be considered a substitute for scallions.

Tags
salad, salads