Salad Nicoise- Summer Salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomato salad Maman Blanc

Over here in the UK, we have a wonderful chef called Raymond Blanc. He owns one of Britain's great restaurants called 'Le Manoir des Quattre Saisons' (The Four Seasons Restaurant) in the countryside just north of London. During an interview some time ago, he mentioned his mother who, he said, was the great inspiration who encouraged him to become a restaurateur - the rest is history!

This recipe is from Madame Blanc's collection. Here's the recipe:

Tomato salad Maman Blanc:

4 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes thickly sliced.
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 shallot (scallion), finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
splash white vinegar
1-2 tbsp warm water
2tbsp roughly chopped fresh flatleaved parsley
1 small handful fresh basil leaves.

Preparation method
1. Arrange the tomatoes in circles on a serving platter
2. Scatter the red onion over the top
3. Place the shallot, garlic and white wine vinegar into a bowl and whisk well to combine. Whisk in the rapeseed oil, then, then add the water (whisking continuously) to emulsify the dressing. Season to taste with salt and freshly grouond black pepper.
4. Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes then set aside for at least one hour to marinate.
5. When ready to serve, scatter over the parsley and basil leaves.

(I like to rough-chop the leaves)

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

1 clove
Sounds good. When do you add the Dijon mustard?

String Bean Salad

string_bean_salad_080812_P1090523.JPG

Maman Blanc's Tomato Salad - the dressing:

Place the shallot, garlic, mustard and white wine vinegar into a bowl. I use cider vinegar, and smooth Dijon mustard. I also use olive oil instead of rapeseed oil. Otherwise I use aged white wine vinegar, as I find the that a young white wine vinegar, for me, is too sharp.

I leave my picked tomatoes out in the sun for a couple of days, and I use home-grown basil. I chop the shallot very fine, as I don't really want a 'lumpy' vinaigrette.

When I've done the vinaigrette, I keep it for 2 - 3 days, so that the flavours blend better.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Enough is never as good as a feast

Salad niçoise is a really easy salad to make, I usually make it with potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettus, cucumber, boiled egg and of course you can add some ketchup or mayo on top.

Have any of Y'all played around with this salad?

Sounds like a nice Summer Salad.

but 'Round here, we usually make a sour German Potato salad, or else a sour Three Been Salad.

Could this mix be made with Canned French Style Green Beens?

I may need to get Real Grey Poupon Mustard?

Thanks, Eric.

ps, Also looking for any nice Summer Salad Recipies.
You need a proper French mustard (not one that just calls itself French Mustard!) for the right flavour but Grey Poupon is towards the top of the range. Look for a mustard made in France that isn't as expensive. A good supermarket may have its own brand made in France mustard.

And as for "Canned French Style Green Beans" - Wash your mouth out with soap this minute!!!!

Salad niçoise is a really easy salad to make, I usually make it with potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettus, cucumber, boiled egg and of course you can add some ketchup or mayo on top.
God help us! Just when I thought I had been misinformed about American cooks and cooking I read something like this!!!!

(Please tell me you're joking)

You need a proper French mustard (not one that just calls itself French Mustard!) for the right flavour but Grey Poupon is towards the top of the range. Look for a mustard made in France that isn't as expensive. A good supermarket may have its own brand made in France mustard.

And as for "Canned French Style Green Beans" - Wash your mouth out with soap this minute!!!!

Trader Joe’s has very good mustards for reasonable prices.

No, you don't. You need a mustard you like. Don't be so rigid.

God help us! Just when I thought I had been misinformed about American cooks and cooking I read something like this!!!!

(Please tell me you're joking)
OMG! Just when I thought the British were polite people, you rhetorically smack a newcomer in the face! :shock:

Did you happen to notice that that was her *third* post here? Way to say hello :rolleyes:

No, you don't. You need a mustard you like. Don't be so rigid.
I like being rigid. Salade Nicoise was specifically named. If you're going to make it then make it properly. I thought DC was a serious cookery site. We are here to help & encourage people not to support this sort of nonsense.

(Oh, I forgot. This is the nation that thinks that a television programme, wherein a minor "celebrity" stuffs as much into his mouth as he possibly can without throwing up, is class "prime-time" entertainment.)

I still think the original poster was trying it on and having a laugh at our expense.

Last edited:
I like being rigid. Salade Nicoise was specifically named. If you're going to make it then make it properly. I thought DC was a serious cookery site. We are here to help & encourage people not to support this sort of nonsense.
We have suggested that someone makes a recipe "as written", but we have been know to encourage people to go off-book and substitute ingredients that they like if there is one ingredient that is particularly off-putting (or not available, or not something that fits into their budget) rather than not make it at all or not enjoy the final product. Of course, Escoffier would not have been pleased. :D

(Oh, I forgot. This is the nation that thinks that a television programme, wherein a minor "celebrity" stuffs as much into his mouth as he possibly can without throwing up, is class "prime-time" entertainment.)
I'm pretty sure that if you polled the approximately 77% of the country that is 18 or older, you would find a small number that consider this to be anything close to entertaining. The rest of us are just as appalled as you.

I still think the original poster was trying it on and having a laugh at our expense.
Or...if you've read a good number of Eric's previous posts, you'd know that he isn't all that much of a cook but tries hard, and that his resources are limited. And yet he soldiers on.

+1 on all, CG. I also want to add that Eric has been here for 11 years. I enjoy his posts and look forward to them, and usually learn something from the responses. I've never seen him to be anything less than honest and friendly.

I dunno, I think MC meant the person who suggested, "... you can add some ketchup or mayo on top." was the one who might be having fun at our expense. Anyways, that's how I understood it.

taxy, MC quoted two different posts. The mustard comment and canned bean comment were in regard to "giggler"'s original post, while the reaction to ketchup or mustard on Salad Nicoise is a reaction to new "Vanessa"'s post. MC also references the "original poster" when she said "...the original poster was trying it on and having a laugh at our expense..."

Before you know it, this thread is going to need a scorecard to keep track of the players...:wacko:

taxy, MC quoted two different posts. The mustard comment and canned bean comment were in regard to "giggler"'s original post, while the reaction to ketchup or mustard on Salad Nicoise is a reaction to new "Vanessa"'s post. MC also references the "original poster" when she said "...the original poster was trying it on and having a laugh at our expense..."

Before you know it, this thread is going to need a scorecard to keep track of the players...:wacko:
I don't think that MC was using the phrase "original poster" to refer to the person who started the thread. I might be wrong. That wasn't how I read it because, I felt that the mayo and ketchup comment might have been having a laugh at our expense.

And all this time I thought it was named for the olives.:ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom