Salad Nicoise- Summer Salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Have any of Y'all played around with this salad?

Sounds like a nice Summer Salad.

but 'Round here, we usually make a sour German Potato salad, or else a sour Three Been Salad.

Could this mix be made with Canned French Style Green Beens?

I may need to get Real Grey Poupon Mustard?

Thanks, Eric.

ps, Also looking for any nice Summer Salad Recipies.

My Salade Nicoise

salade_nicoise_080717_P1100185.JPG

I added some anchovy fillets, made string bean salad (rather than just cooked beans), steamed the red potatoes (then tossed them with splash of white vinegar while hot), grape tomatoes and used Kalamata olives

MsM those salads look wonderful!

We eat alot of cold salads in the summertime ...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/56875-albums1045-picture6468.jpg

this is a goody made with Farro and assorted chopped veg

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/56875-albums1086-picture6957.jpg

Grilled Salmon Greek Style Salad, MMM!
or grilled Chicken or Shrimp or ...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/56875-albums1086-picture6952.jpg

or how about a side salad of Namasu, pickled cucs, carrots, daikon and fresh ginger root

So many great ideas out there

Caesar Salad

Caesar_salad_040612_P1090450.JPG

If you would like any recipes just ask.

Last edited:
I use the extra fine whole frozen green beans in a salad Nicoise. Usually, they are leftovers from the previous night's dinner. I add some onion and garlic then marinate them in bottled Italian dressing overnight. I round out the salad with whatever I have on hand that looks like it belongs on a salad Nicoise. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I also like to have a Taco salad in the summer. I freeze individual portions of seasoned taco meat or chili, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and heat them in the microwave before adding them to the salad.

A piece of leftover steak is another nice summer salad topper. I slice the meat and heat it in the microwave just enough to take the chill off before I add it to the salad.

Oh yum, MsM and Kgirl! :yum: Those all look delicious. I love summer salads.

Here's a few more that I make often in the summer.

One of my faves - Taco salad with ranch dressing
taco salad (2).jpg

Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Salad with Chile Lime dressing
Southwestern black bean and corn salad.jpg

Grilled Chicken Salad with ranch
grilled chicken salad.jpg

Orzo and Artichoke Heart Salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing
orzo and artichoke heart salad.jpg

Thank you and your salads are beautiful also!

Oh yum, MsM and Kgirl! :yum: Those all look delicious. I love summer salads.

Here's a few more that I make often in the summer.

One of my faves - Taco salad with ranch dressing
View attachment 30424

Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Salad with Chile Lime dressing
View attachment 30423

Grilled Chicken Salad with ranch
View attachment 30421

Orzo and Artichoke Heart Salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing
View attachment 30422

I use the extra fine whole frozen green beans in a salad Nicoise. Usually, they are leftovers from the previous night's dinner. I add some onion and garlic then marinate them in bottled Italian dressing overnight. I round out the salad with whatever I have on hand that looks like it belongs on a salad Nicoise. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I also like to have a Taco salad in the summer. I freeze individual portions of seasoned taco meat or chili, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and heat them in the microwave before adding them to the salad.

A piece of leftover steak is another nice summer salad topper. I slice the meat and heat it in the microwave just enough to take the chill off before I add it to the salad.

Aunt Bea, I do the same thing. I almost always have a stash of seasoned and portioned ground beef in the freezer for taco salad. And the leftover sliced steak makes a wonderful meal-in-a-bowl salad. I like the combo of the slightly warmed ground beef or steak with the cool veggies and dressing...yum. :yum:

Great salads!!!

Inspiring as Springfield, MO is slightly :wacko: warmer than was Monterey Bay, CA..

I'm bookmarking this thread.. [emoji2]

Ross
If you subscribe to it, you get notifications of new posts. I'm on my tablet at the moment, so I'm going from memory. I think subscribe is on the pull down menu for thread tools.

It's winter here so no salads in sight, but I make one with lettuce chopped up with tomatoes boiled eggs spring onions bit of cheese and radishes, my home made dressing as well. Perfect summer salad.

Russ

Tomato salad Maman Blanc

Over here in the UK, we have a wonderful chef called Raymond Blanc. He owns one of Britain's great restaurants called 'Le Manoir des Quattre Saisons' (The Four Seasons Restaurant) in the countryside just north of London. During an interview some time ago, he mentioned his mother who, he said, was the great inspiration who encouraged him to become a restaurateur - the rest is history!

This recipe is from Madame Blanc's collection. Here's the recipe:

Tomato salad Maman Blanc:

4 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes thickly sliced.
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 shallot (scallion), finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
splash white vinegar
1-2 tbsp warm water
2tbsp roughly chopped fresh flatleaved parsley
1 small handful fresh basil leaves.

Preparation method
1. Arrange the tomatoes in circles on a serving platter
2. Scatter the red onion over the top
3. Place the shallot, garlic and white wine vinegar into a bowl and whisk well to combine. Whisk in the rapeseed oil, then, then add the water (whisking continuously) to emulsify the dressing. Season to taste with salt and freshly grouond black pepper.
4. Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes then set aside for at least one hour to marinate.
5. When ready to serve, scatter over the parsley and basil leaves.

(I like to rough-chop the leaves)

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

1 clove

Back
Top Bottom