Salad suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shengchieh

Assistant Cook
I will be attending another picnic and I need to bring salad (last time was dessert).
While I probably could buy potato salad or something from the grocery store, I
prefer to make, because I am not 100% sure I am going to the picnic. I use
wheelchair and do not use the stove or oven. Plus I am disability-retired and
money is tight. Can you suggest salads I could make, but also keep if I don't
go. Microwave and toaster oven are okay, but no stove and full-sized oven..

Sheng-Chieh

p.s. I appreciate the help I got so far from this forum.

I will be attending another picnic and I need to bring salad (last time was dessert).
While I probably could buy potato salad or something from the grocery store, I
prefer to make, because I am not 100% sure I am going to the picnic. I use
wheelchair and do not use the stove or oven. Plus I am disability-retired and
money is tight. Can you suggest salads I could make, but also keep if I don't
go. Microwave and toaster oven are okay, but no stove and full-sized oven..

Sheng-Chieh

p.s. I appreciate the help I got so far from this forum.
You could make a fruit salad my family loves them cut up melon,grapes some toasted walnuts some coconut, watermelon and a poppy seed dressing or simply douse with lime juice and honey my kids favorite.You could take a simple salad of garden tomatoes from a farmer market, add some sliced cucumber, and some sweet onion then a little dressing of ranch you could also add some head lettuce but keep the dressing bottled so it doesn't wilt if possible keep it icy cold and it will be delish.I hope you are able to go, sounds like fun.
kadesma

Last edited:
Cole Slaw is always easy to make and keep.

Bag of pre-mixed slaw cabbage, salad dressing (Miracle Whip), sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, mustard.

If you had to buy everything, the total would come to less than $7, but I imagine you might have some items already on-hand.
It will keep a couple of days, and can be used on hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and as a side salad.

I want to thank for all these suggestions.

I don't like carrot and cucumber, but the fruit salad idea looks good. If I don't go, I will always
eat up the fruits anyway.

Sheng-Chieh

Sheng-Chieh, I would go for marinaded, jarred or canned vegetables. You do not show where you live, but around here, if I could not really use my kitchen as well as I can, I'd open cans of my favorite vegetables that are pickled, brined, or dressed, toss with some onions, drizzle some olive or sesame oil (depending if you're going for European or Asian), toss. If you want to be fancy, line the bowl with lettuce or cabbage leaves. Looks good, tastes good, and easy to do.

And yes, this is relatively expensive up-front, however, if you don't go to the party after all, you can eat it for ... well, even weeks. A spoon full of it on pasta or over a baked potato makes a great meal.

try a simple salad for a start, start off with some crunchy lettuce,and fried potatoe wedges (just in case you hate the lettuce! but it goes well, goes well, ends well*lol) your dressing should be a "thousand island dressing" very creamy and also goes well with the wedges!(also try it with the bread they put in ceasar salad)
descripiton:
the first time i tasted it, it started off as ordinary lettuce with a burst of flavor because of the dressing,then crucnchy again , because of the bread, then spicy (coz i love adding some tabasco!-mild green-or red spicy!) and then the "burger tasty thing in my mouth, its like i ate burger because of the yummy wedges, it goes well with lettuce,dressing,tabasco and toasted bread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom