Salad tiède (warm salad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
I just thought I would share this first course, that people seem to love.

The principle is really very simple: you put warm - generally panfried - ingredients that have been tossed with a dressing, on a bed of greens (lettuce, rocket, watercress, anything really ;) ).

The classic ones where I live are gésiers confits (preserved gizzards cut thin), but bacon bits and, as I did last night, panfried raw shrimp with red bell peppers are also divine.

The difference in temperatures is funky, and not a problem.
Obviously, this is a dish that needs to be served immediately so the greens stay crisp.

Best regards,
Alex R.

My Dad is a gésiers fan. You could serve him a salad with these every day of the week and he'd be a happy man.

I love spinach with the addition of bits of bacon, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, pine kernels and halved cherry tomatoes fried in olive oil with balsamic vinegar added to the pan off the heat. Add the cherry tomatoes towards the end - you only want to concentrate the flavour a bit, not cook right through. If you have some tiny croutons, you could add those rather than the pine kernels.

Sounds yummy, although I've never had it. I'd love to try it. I'm also interested in trying a grilled Caeser Salad.

Alex, we had a terrific chicken liver salad at Au Piano Muet in Paris which is as you describe--SO good!!! AND of course, there is always foie gras.

Nutty warm salad

I like to use a mild, soft lettuce such as boston or bibb, for the base. I heat a saute pan to medium and drizzle in just enough oil to coat the pan. I would then put in bacon chips, (larger than bits, I cut'em up with the pinking sheers). Then I throw in walnuts in halves plus smaller pieces. At this point, I put in what ever else I want slightly glazed, such as pear wedges, red pepper chunks, even thin slices of onion. Garlic is never a bad idea. Don't forget salt and a few cranks of fresh pepper. I like to add tarragon lately.
I add balsamic/ sometimes raspberry, vinegar at the end. A toss or two and plop this on top of the lettuces. Now you can add crumbles of bleu cheese, or feta, or even fat shavings of parmesan. Done!

In the summer, I put wedges of belgian endive, (the tight, spear-shaped kind) right on the grill. Drizzle with oil first, (maybe even a little chili oil?). It looks great if you fan out the grilled spears/leaves. Then, put the other salad items either in the middle like the center of a daisy, or off to one side like, well, holding a fan. Presentation never hurts.
:cool:

My sister used to make this when I was a teen. It was called Wilted Lettuce and I loved it. She never put fruit on it though and I think that sounds terrific.

Oh, yes, wilted lettuce made with bacon drippings for the "oil" in the sweet/sour hot vinaigrette. wonderful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom