"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 02-11-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Salad tiède (warm salad)

I just thought I would share this first course, that people seem to love.

The principle is really very simple: you put warm - generally panfried - ingredients that have been tossed with a dressing, on a bed of greens (lettuce, rocket, watercress, anything really ).

The classic ones where I live are gésiers confits (preserved gizzards cut thin), but bacon bits and, as I did last night, panfried raw shrimp with red bell peppers are also divine.

The difference in temperatures is funky, and not a problem.
Obviously, this is a dish that needs to be served immediately so the greens stay crisp.

Best regards,
Alex R.

AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Head Chef
My Dad is a gésiers fan. You could serve him a salad with these every day of the week and he'd be a happy man.

I love spinach with the addition of bits of bacon, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, pine kernels and halved cherry tomatoes fried in olive oil with balsamic vinegar added to the pan off the heat. Add the cherry tomatoes towards the end - you only want to concentrate the flavour a bit, not cook right through. If you have some tiny croutons, you could add those rather than the pine kernels.

Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Sous Chef
Sounds yummy, although I've never had it. I'd love to try it. I'm also interested in trying a grilled Caeser Salad.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Alex, we had a terrific chicken liver salad at Au Piano Muet in Paris which is as you describe--SO good!!! AND of course, there is always foie gras.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Nutty warm salad

I like to use a mild, soft lettuce such as boston or bibb, for the base. I heat a saute pan to medium and drizzle in just enough oil to coat the pan. I would then put in bacon chips, (larger than bits, I cut'em up with the pinking sheers). Then I throw in walnuts in halves plus smaller pieces. At this point, I put in what ever else I want slightly glazed, such as pear wedges, red pepper chunks, even thin slices of onion. Garlic is never a bad idea. Don't forget salt and a few cranks of fresh pepper. I like to add tarragon lately.
I add balsamic/ sometimes raspberry, vinegar at the end. A toss or two and plop this on top of the lettuces. Now you can add crumbles of bleu cheese, or feta, or even fat shavings of parmesan. Done!

In the summer, I put wedges of belgian endive, (the tight, spear-shaped kind) right on the grill. Drizzle with oil first, (maybe even a little chili oil?). It looks great if you fan out the grilled spears/leaves. Then, put the other salad items either in the middle like the center of a daisy, or off to one side like, well, holding a fan. Presentation never hurts.
moonglowlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Executive Chef
My sister used to make this when I was a teen. It was called Wilted Lettuce and I loved it. She never put fruit on it though and I think that sounds terrific.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef
Oh, yes, wilted lettuce made with bacon drippings for the "oil" in the sweet/sour hot vinaigrette. wonderful stuff.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote