"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing for Mother's Day

Hi All,

So my mom had a special request for mothers day...
1) Sweedish Meatballs w/ Egg noodles
2) Salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing.

Ok, so I would like to make a homemade dressing. Does anyone have any stellar concoctions?

Also I would like to make the salad itself special. What sort of goodies do you think would go nicely in this type of salad? I am thinking maybe candied pecans and pear... I am not sure. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Sam

Old 05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
For the bleu cheese salad I would suggest using a wedge of iceberg and topping the wedge with the dressing, chopped crispy bacon, chives, and a few grape tomatoes. Here is my dressing recipe:
a bit more than 1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice

1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch white pepper
pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbles

Make this the day before. I don't see the pears matching very well with the bleu cheese though nor the candied pecans - JMHO though. If there was a basic red wine vinaigrette dressing used with bleu cheese crumbles versus a full-blown bleu cheese dressing...that combination would work much better. I do something like that and even add blueberries to it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I agree that pears and nuts (I would use walnuts)
paired (pun there?) with some good lettuce are
perfect for bleu cheese dressing.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

i think any sweet fruit goes great with bleu cheese....pears, apples, grapes, cranberries, etc

we have served a cheese platter of strong bleu and stilton cheeses with slices of pear and grapes

we often make a salad of craisens, pears, apples, romaine, and bleu cheese topped with a maple balsamic dressing and candied almond slivers....very tasty (that doesnt seem to match you requirements perfectly, but you could adjust it)

seems like you can find a salad that contains cranberries, nuts and bleu cheese in almost any restaurant these days
Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks all for the suggestions.

ooo apple sounds good too. I think what I will do when I candy the walnuts is put a touch of cayenne pepper to make them just a little spicy. I think the sweet of the fruit (and sugar glaze on the nuts) and the creaminess of the dress would compliment that nicely.

I. admittedly, am not a huge fan of bleu cheese dressing... so this is an interesting challenge for me.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Cook

there is an easy way to make you a fan of bleu cheese....first, find some good quality bleu....personally, i find the cheap, pre-crumbled stuff at the store to be dry and not that great...if you can find a good, sharp and CREAMY bleu cheese, it will be perfect

now, take a bite, and follow it almost immediatly with a fresh & sweet grape/pear/apple....maybe have a bit of port with it? i could eat that all day!

ps - i really like the idea of adding spice to your salad
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
i think any sweet fruit goes great with bleu cheese....pears, apples, grapes, cranberries, etc

we have served a cheese platter of strong bleu and stilton cheeses with slices of pear and grapes

we often make a salad of craisens, pears, apples, romaine, and bleu cheese topped with a maple balsamic dressing and candied almond slivers....very tasty (that doesnt seem to match you requirements perfectly, but you could adjust it)

seems like you can find a salad that contains cranberries, nuts and bleu cheese in almost any restaurant these days
I also agree that all of the fruit you mentioned goes GREAT with bleu cheese. It's just the dressing that I don't see the fruit going with. The balsamic dressing with the bleu cheese crumbles - PERFECTION! The bleu cheese DRESSING with fruit...not so much I think more savory i.e., the bacon, chives, and tomatoes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
Cook

Is there a particular brand of bleu you recommend? I live in a rather rural area so my cheese selection is pretty much limited to the local grocery stores specialty cheese section.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I think Roquefort is much better than Blue Cheese,.

I like to add tomato, green pepper, onion, hard boiled eggs, cheese, and black olives and croutons to my salads. If I make a really big salad I also add ham, turkey, chicken and shrimp.

MY salad dressing is a little different

Roquefort (no set amount - add amount that you like)
I cup Mayo
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
--> No salt or pepper

Mix the ingredients together. If you think the dressing is too thick add milk 1 TEASPOON at a time, and mix well after each addition. Regrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight in a sealed jar.

Optional: 1/4 teaspoon of granluated garlic. (Not gralic salt or gralic powder.} If you do not have granulated garlic ignore this. .

I am sure a chef can explain it better, but my opinion is the Roquefort is a softer cheese that has a flavor that is subtle yet distinct..It is good served with a white wine that is not too dry. .
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Cook

your grocery store's cheese selection should have a nice bleu for eating (the pre-crumbled stuff should be fine for salads)....i would ask the person behind the counter for a suggestion....if they don't know what they are talking about (which is prob likely), any bleu that is sold in a whole chunk/wedge is bound to be better than the other stuff....also, sometimes you can tell which ones are creamier just by looking at them

get a small piece and try it

Tags
None