"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 06-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

Velochic - I think the "chevre" belonged with the first combo - "apples with cheddar or chevre". There's just a space missing between "chevre" and the slash mark.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

I like fruit in salads, either an apple or a nectarine. Or raw grated beetroot. A light dressing that adds sweetness is a simple squeeze of juice from an orange. The other thing that makes a fantastic change, unbelievably good when you consider how simple it is, is to very finely dice the salad ingrediants. My mother taught me that. That way it is almost like a relish, you get more flavours in each fork full and it tastes more "dressy" than salad. I am always stiving to make salad more interesting with out adding fatty ingrediants or high calorie ingrediants, cheese is out for me

Old 06-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

YAAY for beetroot! I love it. I often boil them, wait till they cool, skin and then add a squeeze of orange juice and a little orange zest. Leave to marinate for a while. YUM
Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Artichoke Hearts
Raw Green Beans
Beets
Sunflower seeds
Pepitas (pumpkin/squash seeds)
canned kidney/black & other beans
canned or grilled tuna
pepperoncini
parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
cucumbers
roasted soy beans
edamame (green steamed or parboiled soy beans)
cheddar cheese crumbles
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Thanks for the clarification, Breezy - you were right! Neigher the fingers or the brain were working this morning, lol!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Velochic - I think the "chevre" belonged with the first combo - "apples with cheddar or chevre". There's just a space missing between "chevre" and the slash mark.
Okay... got it. I probably could have figured that out myself if I'd taken the time. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I don't believe I've ever had beetroot... what does it look like? What do you do with it? I'm sure I could google for it, but any info here, would be nice.

Forgot to mention... thank you to everyone's suggestions! I have a wonderful list of things to experiment with. Very helpful!! Danke!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:20 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Velochic

I buy bottled beetroot in Beijing that is imported from Germany. It is labeled Rote Bete.

And I have a distnct recollection of ejoyng beetroot the last times I was in Hamburg. Try it. It is delicious, especially in salads.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by advoca
Velochic

I buy bottled beetroot in Beijing that is imported from Germany. It is labeled Rote Bete.

And I have a distnct recollection of ejoyng beetroot the last times I was in Hamburg. Try it. It is delicious, especially in salads.
Ach!! Thanks! Now I know what it is. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of it. My hubby is, though.

Tags
None