Sherry Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
Where in the Chicago area can I find sherry vinegar?
I live in the southwest suburbs.
I have seen it on line, but the shipping is always so high.
I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
:ermm:

You should be able to find it in your supermarket, perhaps with the specialty vinegars. Or if you have a Latino market, they might have it. It is expensive, even in the supers.
For sure at Whole Foods or that type of store, which I am sure you have somewhere.

If you have a Sunset near you, I'd call them and ask. Dominick's etc may also carry it.

If you can't find it at a regular supermarket, a "gourmet" type store is sure to have some-- probably more than one brand.

I don't live in Chicago but if you have a Williams Sonoma . . . that's where I get my sherry vineger.

;)I love sherry vingegar and I love cooking with sherry wines. I think they all come from Spain mine is a CAPIRETE Vinegar de Jerez
From what I understand any sherry wine or sherry vinegar yhat comes from Jerez Xeres? is great.But you need to know there are several kinds of sherry wines for different things.
enjoysherry.com

Last edited:
I did buy a bottle at WS. I haven't tried it.
Unfortunately, the Jewel and Dominick stores in my area don't carry sherry wine vinegar.

jpmcgrew said:
;)I love sherry vingegar and I love cooking with sherry wines. I think they all come from Spain mine is a CAPIRETE Vinegar de Jerez
From what I understand any sherry wine or sherry vinegar yhat comes from Jerez Xeres? is great.But you need to know there are several kinds of sherry wines for different things.
enjoysherry.com

jpmcgrew - Jerez/Xérès de la Frontera, Cadíz, is the place in Spain where Sherry comes from. Sherry is, in fact, a transl(iter)ation of the Spanish word "Jerez", which in turn came from ancient Greek "Xera".

Jerez /Sherry is a fortified wine (ie it has stronger liquor - brandy - added to it) because, if I'm not mistaken, the grape is so, so delicate that the wine goes bad after a very short time. Thus, by fortifying the wine, it's easier to preserve.

Jerez/Sherry ranges in flavour from very dry ( takes the roof off your mouth) to very sweet . Manzanillo or Fino are my favourites ( very dry) - whilst my mum likes Oloroso ( very sweet ).

The Sherry vinegar I have in front of me is called "De Soto" - 8% acidity. Glorious stuff but very potent!

Last edited:
;) Thanks Cliveb, I love sherry vinegar and I love cooking with the wines.
Here's one of my all time favorite salads
Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette
2 TBL Sherry Vinegar
1 small Shallot sliced thin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup light olive oil
A tiny pinch of sugar
Mix together and let set a few hours in fridge

Salad
Nice salad greens
some pecans, glazed pecans are better
Some tart apple slices You can slice apples ahead and put them in some cold water with some lemon juice and a little sugar to keep them from browning
A little feta cheese

Pull dressing from fridge if its thick let set awhile till liquid
Toss lettuce and apples in vinaigrette
Garnish with Pecans and Feta
It is really ,really good.

CAPIRETE Brand - Sherry Vinegar

Hi, my name is Javier from de Company Jose Paez Lobato in Jerez (Spain). - We are exporting CAPIRETE Sherry Vinegar into USA. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom