"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Smoked chicken and pasta salad

We're taking the kids and grankids for a ride in the motor home tomorrow and instead of eating fast foods we decided to do our own thing
I'm making this now to take with us...
wagon wheel pasta-1/2-lb. cooked
2-Tab. evoo
1-smoked deli chicken, shred the meat
1-c. red onion sliced thin
1-c. sliced green onions, both parts
1-celery,sliced thin
1/2-c. golden raisins
1/2-c. chopped toasted pecans
Dressing:
1-c. sour cream
1-c. mayo
1/4-c. milk
1-Tab. curry powder
2-Tab. mustard, I'm using some honey mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta, drain, cool by rinsing in cold running water, then toss with the evoo in a large bowl, cover and set aside. Shred the chicken into bite size pieces, add this to the pasta along with the onions,celery,raisins,and pecans..Toss with dressing chill and serve.
Serves 8-10
included in our jaunt will be sliced ham, turkey, pastrami, salami,swiss and cheddar cheese, tomatoes,lettuce and onions and avocado slices to go on kaiser onion rolls or dutch crunch rolls, plus plain ol white for Carson and Ethan there are chips, pretzels, hard cooked eggs,pickles,oilives both green stuffed and black, some potato salad watermelon and grapes, and lemon drop cookies, ice tea, water, diet coke and lemonade..I do believe we have enough for a day trip

kadesma

Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Sous Chef

What fun you'll have!! Who needs fast food joints, right??

Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Head Chef

Sounds like fun but looks like you have enough food for several days. Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Master Chef

What, girl, no squirt cheese and Ritz crackers?

Sounds like a wonderful time. It's been a long time since I went on a road trip.
I used to have a big cargo van (Ford) that I used for delivering plants and hauling nursery stock. But we had it carpeted, and it had two removable back seats plus the two captain's chairs, because we also used it for our personal vehicle. It had seat belts for 8 people.
We had so many wonderful vacations with our kids, and great road trips to and from concerts with our friends in that old gray van with "Connie's Greenhouse" painted on the side.

I didn't have the conveniences in the van that you do in the camper, Kadesma, but I always had a couple of coolers...one for drinks and one for food...and plastic milk crates of non-perishable food items and other necessary items, like paper towels, kleenex, tums, Tylenol and Kaopectate (you never know). I also brought pillows and a couple of quilts in case someone needed a nap (usually me).
When we went to concerts, we took a big round orange water cooler full of Rocky Mountain Fever Water and plastic cups in the back, as well.

After I closed the business, Kim put the van up for sale. It went to a preacher and his wife who had 5 kids. I doubt they'll ever suspect the good times that were had in that vehicle.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
What fun you'll have!! Who needs fast food joints, right??
Right cjs
we had a wonderful time..Nice weather only about 79-80 tall trees the smell of pine, a nice lunch, nothing to do but talk and relax, it was wonderful.

kadesma
Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpershere2
Sounds like fun but looks like you have enough food for several days. Enjoy your trip.
Hey thumpershere,
It sounded like a lot but really for 7 adults and 3 kids we had just a little left over. And We all had a great time.

kadesma

Tags
None