"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Something healthy yet tasty?

I really want to find some very satisfying meals for my husband as he is overweight.
He’s not opposed to salads, but I want him to feel like he’s eating a real meal and not just a “bowl of lettuce” as he says.
I’m looking for something filling like with grilled chicken or beef.The tastier, the better.
I’m open to any and all recommendations!

Janetsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Master Chef

Sauted chicken strips smothered in toatp, onion, and bell peppers.

Sauted pork chops fishe with a little serry wine

Grilled flank syrak, copked to medium rate, yhe diced, and stir-fried withchopped onion, peppers, cilantro, and lime juice, as a filling for pita pockets, or tortillas.

Stuffed bell peppers

Roulades of chicken, or beeg.

Viener-schnitsel

Naked fish, such as salmon, whitefish, sole, or flounder

Grilled shish cabobs of chicke, pork, fish,l lamb or beef.

Seeeey Chief Longwind of the North

Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, and welcome Janet.
One of my favorites is "Egg Roll in a Bowl", also known as "Crack Slaw". It's a simple and satisfying meal for anyone, and quite healthy. The additions are only limited by your imagination.

Here's just one version.
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...-bowls-recipe/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetsummer View Post
I really want to find some very satisfying meals for my husband as he is overweight.
He’s not opposed to salads, but I want him to feel like he’s eating a real meal and not just a “bowl of lettuce” as he says.
I’m looking for something filling like with grilled chicken or beef.The tastier, the better.
I’m open to any and all recommendations!
One approach is to eat anything you want, just eat less of it. That way, you are less likely to feel deprived.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, Janet..

Kayelle, that dish looks pretty good..

I agree with Andy.. We went to smaller dinner plates a long time ago.. We got used to smaller portions and now, our tummies don't want more at a sitting..

Ross
Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I was on a strict low/ no carb diet for 3 months ( which was a real treat). But when I was allowed to start eating carbs again, I altered my way of preparing some dishes to reduce amount of carbs.

For instance, with Pasta primavera, I used to have significantly more pasta than veggies. Now I do the reverse. Just a much higher percentage of veggies to pasta. Still the same dish, still the same taste, just playing with the percentages so more healthy, less carbs , less calories.

Ive eliminated the Bun when having veggie burgers, not ideal , but again, less carbs, similar to same taste..

Just as a note, Not saying you should try or go no/ low carbs, but when I did that, I lost 12 pounds in 3 months strictly from diet alone, I didn't change anything else in my life style.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
...I agree with Andy.. We went to smaller dinner plates a long time ago.. We got used to smaller portions and now, our tummies don't want more at a sitting..

Ross
We've been eating from 9" dessert plates for several years. If you do that and don't take seconds, that makes a big difference. You can do very well with just portion control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5b21.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	37289  
Old 11-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

Egg roll filling, all foods rinsed and drained:
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 onion, coarse chopped
Diced chicken
Bean sprouts
Ckinese 5-spice powder
Fresh garli
Soy sauce
Ginger
Sesame oil
Sliced mushrooms
Stir-fry all ingredients in hot wok, or SS frying pan. Do not over-crowd the pan. Put all cooked ingredients in large bowl
Season woth toated sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, and 5-spice powder to taste. This mixture is greay with sweet anf sour sauce
Old 11-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We've been eating from 9" dessert plates for several years. If you do that and don't take seconds, that makes a big difference. You can do very well with just portion control.
Yup.. Our plates have an 8X5" surface..
Ross
Today's dinner.. Approximately 3oz chicken, 3oz rice + asparagus..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken rice and asparagus.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	37290  
Old 11-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

Janet, since you posted this in the Salads & Dressings Forum I'm going to assume you are looking for suggestions in that area.
I'm hoping to join your husband in the overweight category this week or next at the latest. Having been obese for ten years, it is a threshold I'm looking forward to crossing one last time.

You mention grilled chicken or beef which would go a long way to making it feel less like a bowl of lettuce. I also try to add protein to salads with fish including sardines, good tuna, shrimp, etc. I also like to add cheese and lately have been partial to Bulgarian feta. Beans, nearly any kind, are a great addition. I like to roast a whole bunch of beets straight from the grocery store, storing them in the foil and their skins so they can added to a salad without any time or trouble. Avocados of course.

Avocados and whatever kind of beans you think of as Mexican, with "taco-seasoned" protein of some kind, lettuce or other greens, Mexican cheese or just shredded cheddar, plus crumbled tortilla chips make an easy taco salad.

And then there are pasta salads of unlimited varieties both authentically Italian and not so much.

Greek and middle eastern ingredients and add another neighborhood to explore.

So, just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Not really a recipe kind of guy.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Another great salad is three bean salad, though I usually have more tja thee types of beans. My bean salad includes green beans, wax beans, dark red kidney beans, chick peas, and black beans. Add to that cliced ubion, celery, celery seed, vinager, and sugar. It should be soupy withlots of liquid. The flavor will br similar to brrad & buttrt picklrs. But hearty and filling. This salad is loaded with protein and nutrients. I do have to say that this is best served ice cold on a hot smmer day. For something equally good, and nutritious, you can't go wrong with chili., again using kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans, with ground beef, peppers, chili powder, chopped onion, celeru, and tomato all on a cold day. So good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of rhe North
Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I do a taco salad which. can be like a meal and also a Felafel salad .
This time of year we usually have a soup and salad night. I try to make a soup that compliments the type of salad Im making. Or sometimes the soup is the star and we just go with a basic salad.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We make something we call "bachelor surprise". It's usually ground beef or pork, but could be chopped, leftover meat. Tonight it was Italian sausage, taken out of the casings. I fry up the meat with some chopped onion and then add defrosted frozen mixed vegis and fry. Tonight was an "Asian stir fry mix" with added kernels of frozen corn. Then I add some sesame seeds and if I have cold, cooked rice, I add that too. It can also be served with rice or some pasta as a bed for the vegi - meat mix. We add hot sauce and soy sauce (tamari for us) individually at the table. Quick and tasty and healthy.

Tags
health, healthy