"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
Looks good, appart from the dandeloin greens. Not so sure I would want to eat those. You do mean dandeloins, as in the ones with the yellow flowers?

Mel
Mel, one of my favorite salads is a dandelion salad..You buy them in the store or if you're lucky like i was as a kid your gramps grew them..Pick, wash if home grown, rinse from store as well, cut like you would chives add to your bowl diced into big pieces hard cooked egg, sliced red onion , salt and pepper evoo and some red wine vinegar gramps used home meade vinegar..serve that salad with a hunk of warm Italian or French bred all drippy with butter..Heaven to me...I loved it..My dh isn't fond of it but will nibble at a little. I love the slightly bitter taste as it blends with the dressing and eggs..YUm
kadesma

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Interesting. Sounds expensive though with all those different greens. Do you usually serve it to a large group?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Looks good, appart from the dandeloin greens. Not so sure I would want to eat those. You do mean dandeloins, as in the ones with the yellow flowers?

Mel
not exactly. The dandelion greens (not dandeloin!) sold for food are not the teensy plants with yellow flowers that are the bane of every lawn-keeper. Same genus, different variety. long, dark green leaves -- maybe 12 to 18 inches in length -- and have a peppery bite to them. I love them sauteed with garlic, or mushrooms, or any number of other veggies.

They're a particularly tasty counterpoint to the sweetness of our native Gulf Shrimp.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I absolutely love mixed salads like this! The dressing sounds amazing too, although I may sub the vinegars for fresh squeezed lemon...just a taste preference for me. Do you think it would still be as tasty?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:

Mel
heres a pic of the dandelion greens

Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Interesting. Sounds expensive though with all those different greens. Do you usually serve it to a large group?
they aren't very expensive here. i get one bunch of each, clean, rip, wash and spin dry. then i put the clean greens in a zip bag with a paper towel in the bottom of the bag. they last about a week for a family of 4 to have salads every night as a side dish. sometimes we have the salad and on the side to add a choice of topping (protein) solid white tuna, hard boiled eggs, bacon, feta cheese, cheddar cheese or smoked ham steak diced and thats dinner for several nights.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
I absolutely love mixed salads like this! The dressing sounds amazing too, although I may sub the vinegars for fresh squeezed lemon...just a taste preference for me. Do you think it would still be as tasty?
it will change the flavor a bit but try it. i make a string bean salad and broccoli salad with oil, garlic and lemon.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
Master Chef

i like this mix of greens because there is a nice mix of mild and strong flavors.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
they aren't very expensive here. i get one bunch of each, clean, rip, wash and spin dry. then i put the clean greens in a zip bag with a paper towel in the bottom of the bag. they last about a week for a family of 4 to have salads every night as a side dish. sometimes we have the salad and on the side to add a choice of topping (protein) solid white tuna, hard boiled eggs, bacon, feta cheese, cheddar cheese or smoked ham steak diced and thats dinner for several nights.
For each of those listed I would pay about $2 each. Greens are not cheap here, even iceburg lettuce is $2 a head.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
For each of those listed I would pay about $2 each. Greens are not cheap here, even iceburg lettuce is $2 a head.
it is about .49 - .69 a lb and a head is about a 1 lb give or take but to us it is worth it. iceberg is .89 a head.

Tags
None