"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
Master Chef

Glad it turned out so well for you. I've found that when I make any kind of pasta salad ahead of time, by the next day the dressing has disappeared totally into the pasta. I was going to suggest using twice the dressing you think you'll need, or not adding the dressing until the day you use it.
At any rate all's well that ends well.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Glad it turned out so well for you. I've found that when I make any kind of pasta salad ahead of time, by the next day the dressing has disappeared totally into the pasta. I was going to suggest using twice the dressing you think you'll need, or not adding the dressing until the day you use it.
At any rate all's well that ends well.
Actually, now that you mention it, that is the other thing I would do differently next time because the dressing did dissipate but it still tasted good. I really could not have mixed the dressing in just before because there was so much pasta it would have been impossible to mix it in there. I thought of making some more dressing but mixing it in would have been too difficult. Using twice the dressing might have worked but may also have soaked into the pasta, who knows. Like I said, next time I will only make a lb of pasta so that it will be easier to add in more dressing, etc. Two lbs was more than I needed anyway.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I like to add anchovies with broccoli, but I dont' know if it'sa only my personal taste!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonaskitchen View Post
I like to add anchovies with broccoli, but I dont' know if it'sa only my personal taste!
That sounds great! I love pasta with broccoli and anchovies!

P.S. I love your blog!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I picked up Apple oil a few weeks ago at the market.
I've never seen Apple oil! I'm intrigued and adding it to my ever growing list of things to keep my eyes open for! Does it have a distinct apple flavor? sweet-ish or tart or?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I would love to find a a tasty recipe for a green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it. It is pretty difficult to explain it as I can only imagine it, but I'm not sure of what it should have or how it should be prepared. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
Senior Cook

What an interesting thread. Pasta salads are often pretty dreary and the ideas here sound really good. One thing I have discovered over the years is that tossing the hot, unrinsed pasta in a mix of the oil and the acid I intend to use as dressing, "non sticks" it, but allows me to fully dress it when it is cool and not likely to "cook" the fresh herbs or un-emulse a mayonnaise dressing.

cc's request for a "green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it" reminded me of a dish i made a lot for a while: spinach pasta, with a lemon tarragon sauce. It sort of snuck up on a Bearnaise, without ever being so heavy. I served it hot, usually with a seafood, but once wonderfully with duck. Is that the sort of taste you are thinking about, cc?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
What an interesting thread. Pasta salads are often pretty dreary and the ideas here sound really good. One thing I have discovered over the years is that tossing the hot, unrinsed pasta in a mix of the oil and the acid I intend to use as dressing, "non sticks" it, but allows me to fully dress it when it is cool and not likely to "cook" the fresh herbs or un-emulse a mayonnaise dressing.

cc's request for a "green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it" reminded me of a dish i made a lot for a while: spinach pasta, with a lemon tarragon sauce. It sort of snuck up on a Bearnaise, without ever being so heavy. I served it hot, usually with a seafood, but once wonderfully with duck. Is that the sort of taste you are thinking about, cc?
Yes, this is pretty much what I had imagined and I'm sure I would love to serve it with seafood. I'm a seafood passionate :P
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
Master Chef

I've had Good Seasons cruets all my life, and always got them for free with a few packets of the seasoning. Every few years they have them that way and usually I pass them by because I already have one (bought the cruet package when I first moved here 10 years ago). I use this often. I use the seasoning packet as the basic seasoning for my hot artichoke dip as well. I have no problem with shortcuts like that, usually adding my own twist.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I've had Good Seasons cruets all my life, and always got them for free with a few packets of the seasoning. Every few years they have them that way and usually I pass them by because I already have one (bought the cruet package when I first moved here 10 years ago). I use this often. I use the seasoning packet as the basic seasoning for my hot artichoke dip as well. I have no problem with shortcuts like that, usually adding my own twist.
Do they still have those cruets in the supermarket. I used to have a few of them and went looking for one the other day and could not find it. I guess I threw them away. I don't really want the package dressing but would use the cruet to make my own dressing in.

Tags
None