Suggestions for a Pasta Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkaylady

Senior Cook
I bought a bag of Broccoli Slaw and was thinking about making it in a Pasta Salad for a potluck since I have two boxes of penne pasta. I am open to suggestions on: 1) whether this would be a good idea 2) what other ingredients to add that would make it more tasty 3) what dressing would work best for these ingredients.

I was thinking of adding raisins or dried cranberries and maybe some julienned apples (not sure on that yet). How does that sound and what type of dressing would work best with that and should I add any celery or other veggies?

Thanks!

I think that is good match of ingredients.
A sweetened/thinned mayo dressing would nice.
Maybe thinned with rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
I would also add some grated carrot for color/flavor.
A chopped nut or some seed would be good too.

Yes, I'm on board with what 4me has suggested plus some fresh crisp bacon pieces. That may sound gross but I've had it and it's a nice salty touch.

I think that is good match of ingredients.
A sweetened/thinned mayo dressing would nice.
Maybe thinned with rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
I would also add some grated carrot for color/flavor.
A chopped nut or some seed would be good too.

The Broccoli Slaw that I bought at Trader Joe has the carrots in it already. Now that you mention it I have a bag of chopped walnuts left over from making banana bread this week. Thanks.

Here's a hint I picked up years ago, I don't remember from where. Make your dressing, put it in the bottom of a LARGE bowl, then put the salad stuff on top and toss to coat/dress the salad. It works much better than putting the dressing on and trying to get it all mixed in.

I picked up Apple oil a few weeks ago at the market. It's pretty good and combined with apple cider vinegar it makes a great dressing. I think that would go good with the apples in the salad. Mushrooms may add a nice woodsy, earthy flavor.

Here's a hint I picked up years ago, I don't remember from where. Make your dressing, put it in the bottom of a LARGE bowl, then put the salad stuff on top and toss to coat/dress the salad. It works much better than putting the dressing on and trying to get it all mixed in.

Yeah, I was thinking about that because I was wondering how I would prevent the pasta from sticking together after it is cooked. I was thinking of maybe making the penne the day before but, in that case, how will I keep it from sticking together? I was thinking I might add some olive oil and stir it in to coat the pasta.

Yeah, I was thinking about that because I was wondering how I would prevent the pasta from sticking together after it is cooked. I was thinking of maybe making the penne the day befPore but, in that case, how will I keep it from sticking together? I was thinking I might add some olive oil and stir it in to coat the pasta.

Putting the dressing on the pasta would probably be the best way to keep it from sticking. If you put olive oil, the dressing won't stick to the pasta. As one Italian TV chef put it: you will have non-stick pasta :LOL:

Putting the dressing on the pasta would probably be the best way to keep it from sticking. If you put olive oil, the dressing won't stick to the pasta. As one Italian TV chef put it: you will have non-stick pasta :LOL:

I am glad you told me that. So, then it is OK to put the dressing on the pasta that is still hot from being cooked? Maybe I should just use a small portion of the dressing to put on it to keep it from sticking and then chill it before adding the rest of the ingredients and dressing?

I am glad you told me that. So, then it is OK to put the dressing on the pasta that is still hot from being cooked? Maybe I should just use a small portion of the dressing to put on it to keep it from sticking and then chill it before adding the rest of the ingredients and dressing?

That sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not sure what would happen to mayonnaise with hot pasta. I don't think it would go off, just separate or something.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not sure what would happen to mayonnaise with hot pasta. I don't think it would go off, just separate or something.

Maybe if I run the pasta under cold running water until it cools off enough it will be OK.

Maybe if I run the pasta under cold running water until it cools off enough it will be OK.

Then you will rinse off the starch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. That same Italian TV chef said that Italian grannies save the pasta water, in case they need to add some to make the sauce stick.

I like thinly sliced sweet red pepper,too. I don't use mayo -- instead, I use a packet of Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing. I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil and lemon juice as well as rice wine vinegar -- everything to taste. I also like to add olives, tiny grape tomatoes, lots of red onion, carrots, celery, fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil, and grated Parmesan cheese. To make it more hearty, add chunks of cooked chicken, turkey, ham, etc.

Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing, is that the one where you get one of their cruets
and pour in the mix, add vinegar to the line, add oil to the line and shake?

My fav pasta salad.

Cooked Conchiglie, mandolin-ed red onion,mandolin-ed chili to taste, tinned tuna steak,pitted black olive bits, mixed and dressed with olive oil and 15 yrs old balsamic. Served with home made beetroot and potato crisps/chips and a ciabatta roll.

Back
Top Bottom