Surprising Broccoli Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
3-4 Bunches of fresh broccolli crowns, cleaned and cut to bite size
1 package of crisp bacon, crumbled (can use the already cooked)
1 small purple onion (chopped)
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all together.

Dressing:
2 cup of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
1/4 cup of white granulated sugar
mix together and pour onto the salad and mix well.

Refrigerate for about an hour.
This recipe can be multiplied many times. If too dry, you can mix a little more of the dressing.

I never leave a party, that I bring this to, with leftovers.
I get request for it all the time at family functions.

looks yummy

Texas,
this looks great...I love broccoli and this salad is almost like one I buy st fantastic little deli..The only difference being is that they add sunflower seeds...I've tried making the dressing, but haven't hit on the right stuff...But your dressing looks like the right thing..Thanks so much.:)
kadesma

texasgirl said:
Haven't tried sunflower seeds, I'll have to do that next time.
Hope you like them...I'm a sunflower seed nut :LOL:
kadesma
Thanks again

My SIL made something very similar except she used half broccoli and half cauliflower spring onions for the red onion. Made sure they were very small flowerettes and cut the mayo way down when she was dieting - like to about 3 TBS and would mix and mix and mix and mix until everything was coated and oddly enough it was.

Thanks for reminding me of this - it's a great summer dish.

Charlotte said:
Sounds like a great salad - I can't wait to try it!

Don't forget to toast lightly the sunflower seeds in a non-stick pan, the toasting really brings out the flavour!
Charlotte,
This is a great salad. I just love it. OH, thanks for reminding me to toast those seeds.:)
kadesma

We started making this salad at my work this year. We use both sunflower seeds and raisins, and without the cheese. The members go nuts over it! I've even made it with the half-and-half mix of broccoli and cauliflower.

Yum, Texas. I love broccoli. I bet some cherry tomatoes would be an added colorful treat. We could call it a BB&T Salad. Sometimes I add mushrooms, raisins or Mandarin oranges. Anyone tried broccoflower? It's Dee-lish. Here's a mayo-based dressing to use on grilled veggies, fish (salmon), etc., if you would like try it in place of the cheese.

Lemon Basil Mayonnaise
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves

What is a take out? It's probably a very dumb question, but we are an international community, and my idea of a take out is where you buy food and bring it home.

sizzles said:
What is a take out? It's probably a very dumb question, but we are an international community, and my idea of a take out is where you buy food and bring it home.
It's often called "take away" in Europe, Sizzles and you are right it's just when you go and buy food from a restaurant (or have it delivered to you at home) and take it home with you :)

Lipton's makes a dry ranch dressing mix that I add to sour cream, and it's so delicious with raw broccoli...much better than the Hidden Valley stuff.
I have never made a broccoli salad, but if I did, that would be my dressing. I would add cooked crumbled bacon, grape tomatoes, chopped sweet red peppers, crumbled bleu cheese, and maybe a little cauliflower.

Mish, I found a nice head of brocciflower at the grocery the other day, and included it in the 7 layer salad that I took to the wake. It tastes just like cauliflower, but is a chartreuse green...very pretty.
I'd like to get ahold of some purple broccoli or cauliflower. It would be so pretty in salads! But I've only seen it in the seed catalogues. I grew plants in the greenhouse one year, but no one wanted them, and by the time I got a chance to get my garden in, it was way to late for cauliflower. Our summers here SIZZLE!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom