Sweet and Sour Avocado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This can be used as a first course, but, we will be trying it as a salad tomorrow.
Serves 4
2-avocados
1-stick butter
4-Tab. sugar
4-Tab. ketchup
4-Tab. vinegar (i'm using seasoned rice vinegar)
4-tea.soy sauce
4-slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Butter lettuce
Peel avocados and cut into halves. In saucepan mix butter,sugar,ketchup,vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to simmer and cook til sugar dissolves. Place avocados on a bed of butter lettcue leaves sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and then spoon on the warm sauce.
enjoy,
kadesma:)

texasgirl said:
This is different, but, sounds good. Oh lord, wait until jkath sees this:LOL:
It is isn't it? I've had it once and loved the sweet and tart, the bacon adds to it a little smokiness. So I'm going to make a platter of it today to go with grilled steaks, and pepper shrimp, twice baked potatoes, mushrooms with little onions..garlic bread or maybe just a hot parmesan bread. Ummm I wonder how some crab sprinkled on top of the avocado and bacon would be?

Holy Cow that sounds great! And bacon on top.......mmmmmmmmmm bacon!

Please tell us how it turned out - I've got 4 haas avos on my counter just waiting for a sweet and sour bath.

jkath said:

Please tell us how it turned out - I've got 4 haas avos on my counter just waiting for a sweet and sour bath.

:ROFLMAO: I knew it!! If it has avacados in the title, your looking:)

jkath said:

I couldn't wait for dinner, so I tried out a small portion as my lunch..I had, had this once before, but didn't know exactly how the dressing was made, so seeing ketchup I had my doubts. I was so wrong. The dressing was great, it tasted buttery, sweet, tart and it was so good with the avocado's. I'll make this again and again during the summer..I used some shredded romaine instead of butter lettuce and the warm dressing kind of lightly wilted the greens..All in all I loved it.

kadesma, ringing her own bell:LOL:

ironchef said:
This would also probably be good with some lump or dungeness crabmeat on top of the avocado as well.
You read my mind. I am putting some on at dinner tonight..I think it will just kind or round out the dish. You always give great ideas...Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom