Sweet Bacon-butter Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rock LaRue

Cook
I made this along with some smoked beef ribs last weekend. Let me just say, that's all we needed! This stuff is rich beyond belief. I'm still recovering from it. Last night, I ate saltines for dinner. :LOL:

Sweet Bacon-butter Salad

Ingredients

1lb Salted Butter
1lb sliced bacon
Corn Starch - approx. 5 tbsp.
1 clove garlic
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup ranch style salad dressing
Romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce - shredded
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup raisins
½ cup concord grape jelly
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions

Place butter in a large saucepan and melt over low heat. Raise heat to medium and add bacon. Simmer bacon over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until bacon has curled and appears done. Add corn starch and stir with fork or whisk until mixture thickens and clings to the utensil. Remove bacon-butter mixture from heat and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Place saucepan in refrigerator for 4-6 hours to allow mixture to solidify completely.

Remove bacon-butter mixture from refrigerator and turn pan upside-down onto a large cutting board. Tap the bottom of the pan until the solidified mixture falls onto the board. With a large, sharp knife cut a grid pattern over the solid mixture and reduce it to one-half inch cubes. Place cubes in refrigerator to keep cool.

In a large bowl, rub garlic around the interior and then place shredded lettuce, carrots, raisins, grape jelly, and cheddar cheese inside. Remove bacon-butter cubes from refrigerator and add to bowl. Pour in ranch style dressing and toss vigorously until salad is well mixed. Salt and pepper to taste.

WOW.. Where's Paula Dean on this one?

:D

Thanks for sharing! I think I'll have to give it a try...

-Brad
Oh it's awesome, better than you might think. It could definitely be a meal in itself though. I can't believe I decided to make this with ribs. *groan* :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom