Sweet Salad Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelaier

Assistant Cook
I had this amazing salad in a japanese restaurant recently which had this light, sweet, and a tiny bit creamy dressing poured over it...I wonder if anyone's come across something like this..I have such a craving for this dressing..it's sort of clear in color, but has a whitish tint to it...and it doesn't seem to have an oil base....does anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything online!

My guess is that it is some type of miso salad dressing. Here is a version that I have in my files. You can also use yellow miso which is milder and sweeter than the red miso. Red miso is also saltier than the yellow miso. Both can be found at any Asian or International Market.

Miso Salad Dressing

3/4 cup red miso
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons mirin; Japanese rice wine
2 tablespoons hot water
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

In a small bowl, combine miso and sugar. Add mirin, water, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Stir until well blended.

If you decide to make this recipe, make sure that the bottle you get says "Mirin". If you get just Japanese Rice Wine, it won't be the same thing. You'll be putting in regular Sake instead. Mirin is similar to sake, and is also considered a rice wine, but it is much, much sweeter and used almost exclusively in cooking. Basically it's a sweet sake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom