Thicken homemade ranch dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I found the forums here I actually contacted Penzey's directly with my question, and they wrote back late yesterday afternoon and suggested adding sour cream until the consistency was where I wanted. They too said it was probably the blender that caused the dressing to be so thin.

It's funny you should bring this up because I have just started using cream cheese mixed with powdered buttermilk in place of the buttermilk in my ranch dressing. It is very thick and satisfying. You might want to give it a try. I whirl the whole thing up in the food processor with the seasonings and mayo. I'll never go back to the thin stuff.

Can you give us measurements?

Before I found the forums here I actually contacted Penzey's directly with my question, and they wrote back late yesterday afternoon and suggested adding sour cream until the consistency was where I wanted. They too said it was probably the blender that caused the dressing to be so thin.
Maybe you can buy the Good Season Dressing kit with the bottle and make your ranch in that. Or use an old bottle like I do. I saved an empty molasses bottle. I use it to shake up cornstarch slurry, salad dressing and such.

Maybe you can buy the Good Season Dressing kit with the bottle and make your ranch in that. Or use an old bottle like I do. I saved an empty molasses bottle. I use it to shake up cornstarch slurry, salad dressing and such.

I saved a mustard bottle. It has that smaller opening so you can squeeze from it. It's small, but easy to dispense.

I saved a mustard bottle. It has that smaller opening so you can squeeze from it. It's small, but easy to dispense.
I like the big mouth so I can spoon stuff into it. I use the Good Seasons Cruet (it has a wide mouth for adding ingredients but a small hole in the cap for pouring) for thin salad dressing.

I like the big mouth so I can spoon stuff into it. I use the Good Seasons Cruet (it has a wide mouth for adding ingredients but a small hole in the cap for pouring) for thin salad dressing.

I was going to get the 4-pack with the cruet, but didn't because it didn't have the pretty vines all over it like it used to. I was so disappointed that I just got a 4 pack to use as seasonings. I love it in potato salad.:chef:

This sounds interesting! Do you do a 1:1 substitution of cream cheese for buttermilk?

I don't really use a recipe with this because sometimes I only make enough for a couple of days and sometimes I make a bunch. I start with about equal parts of mayo and cream cheese ,Say a brick of cheese and a cup of Mayo. I add a tablespoon of the buttermilk powder to the cream cheese amd run it through the food processor until it's well mixed. Then I add the mayo and ranch seasonings to taste. (Be careful here because too much can ruin it.) I allow it to sit so the flavors can meld and if it is too thick I add a little milk. But for me it really can't be too thick...I love it that way. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom