"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Cook

Question Thicken homemade ranch dressing

Hi all, first time user!

I made homemade ranch dressing recently (trying to make more homemade items vs. store bought) and it turned out very runny. The recipe (which is on the Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch seasoning blend) is below. I used a washed out salad dressing bottle that holds 2 cups so I doubled everything. I did not have fresh buttermilk so I used an envelope of Saco powdered buttermilk and a cup of water (I think this is where I went wrong) to make the 1 cup of buttermilk. I mixed everything in a blender.

Can I add something to thicken this? Sour cream? More mayo? Of course I'm worried about throwing off the taste...as a last resort I will start over but when I have right now is useless as a dip and pretty useless as a salad dressing. Thank you all and I look forward to joining this community!!

Buttermilk Ranch
To make 1 Cup dressing, mix 1 TB. seasoning in 1 TB. water, let stand five minutes, then whisk with 1/2 Cup buttermilk and 1/2 Cup mayonnaise. Hand-mixed from: salt, bell peppers, garlic, onion, sugar, black pepper, parsley, thyme, basil.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would add sour cream.

Welcome to DC!

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if you do have to start over, don't throw it out. It would probably be just fine for marinating chicken pieces in.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well if you do have to start over, don't throw it out. It would probably be just fine for marinating chicken pieces in.
I agree, picanis. It would also be great added to mashed potatoes to go with that chicken. I sure wouldn't throw it out.

Welcome to DC, pigskins........you're gonna like it here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks for the suggestions! Funny you say that because when my wife went to use it, she poured some out and stopped and said "oh no did I grab the marinade?"

I realize homemade dressings can be thinner but this is like pouring milk from a jug. For future reference is there something with the recipe that looks off?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskins View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Funny you say that because when my wife went to use it, she poured some out and stopped and said "oh no did I grab the marinade?"

I realize homemade dressings can be thinner but this is like pouring milk from a jug. For future reference is there something with the recipe that looks off?
I have the same Penzey's but haven't tried it yet. Does the powdered buttermilk need to stand to thicken before using?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have the same Penzey's but haven't tried it yet. Does the powdered buttermilk need to stand to thicken before using?
No, not according to the package. If you bought it make dressing let me know if you get around to trying it. Even with real buttermilk, etc. to see how big of a difference there is.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Use a good yogurt instead of buttermilk. Drain liquid from the top of the yogurt. For some reason (I'm sure there's a food scientist out there) if you used a blender or such instead of just a spoon, it makes it thinner. If you use a low fat mayo, it also might be thinner.

You can also add the seasoning mix to the half-and-half buttermilk-may mix directly, eliminating the water. If you do that, you need to let it sit overnight. The water is just to re-hydrate the herbs in the mixture (yes, I use this mix, also their green goddess and green peppercorn mixes as well, all similar instructions). If you make it the day before, you don't need the water.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I wonder if you thinned out the mayo by using a blender... I'll bet.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Use a good yogurt instead of buttermilk. Drain liquid from the top of the yogurt. For some reason (I'm sure there's a food scientist out there) if you used a blender or such instead of just a spoon, it makes it thinner. If you use a low fat mayo, it also might be thinner.

You can also add the seasoning mix to the half-and-half buttermilk-may mix directly, eliminating the water. If you do that, you need to let it sit overnight. The water is just to re-hydrate the herbs in the mixture (yes, I use this mix, also their green goddess and green peppercorn mixes as well, all similar instructions). If you make it the day before, you don't need the water.
Good to know, Claire! Thanks!

I'll let you know, Pigskins!

Tags
homemade, other