Tired of Salads...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I run out of ideas, I picture all the fixins at a salad bar (preferably all you can eat :) ), & look around my pantry for things to add too. How about a steak salad, crumbled blue cheese, tomatoes, red onions, scallions, a seafood salad, shrimp, crab etc. Add in things like avacado, fruits - mandarin oranges, raisins, melons, garbanzos, bean sprouts, beets, assorted shredded cheeses, artichoke hearts, cottage cheese, banana chips, coconut, strawberries, proscuitto, water chestnuts, alfafa sprouts, roast beef, chicken, tuna - any leftovers.

I also like cold sesame noodles - any cold pasta salad will do. Other additions, peanuts, sunflower seeds. grapes, different dressings, asian, cole slaw - any new flavor you haven't tried. Toss in different herbs, spinach or basil leaves instead of lettuce, carrot raisin salad, shredded cabbage. Add some flavored home-made croutons or serve w garlic bread & soup (clam chowder, tomato) -- guess I could go on & on.

Pam, I made myself hungry too :LOL:

This probably sounds like an odd combo, but when I go to a salad bar, I usually (start :rolleyes: ) with beets, cottage cheese, mushrooms, (raw) brocolli, garbanzos, melon (cantaloupe or honey dew) & blue cheese dressing. Wish I could set up a salad bar in my kitchen. I'd probably eat healthier alot more often.

Great Main Course Salads from Food&Wine...

All of the previous salads look wonderful I'll definately have fun this summer trying them out!

I originally found these recipes in F&W July 1996 issue since then their site is $$, but the recipe is the same:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_19908,00.html

The other is called Antipasto Salad with Grilled Chicken. I'll try to locate it. http://www.foodandwine.com/search/quicksearch.cfm?keyword=antipasto+salad+with+grilled+chicken

Also Tuna Salad Nicoise is wonderful for summer. I cannot locate the one I like by Pamela Morgan, Food Network, but this one is similar
http://frenchfood.about.com/library/blsaladniceft.htm
there are many many variations for tuna salad nicoise I like this recipe but would add new potatoes roasted or just boiled. Hope you enjoy these and please share any Main Course Salads that you love.
C

Last edited:
Another Fave Summer Salad...

Ellen's Rice Salad
4 cups cooked fluffy white rice
1 1/2 - 2 cups Ken's Greek Salad Dressing
1/2 lb imported feta cheese, crumbled
1 sweet red pepper, julienned
1 green pepper, julienned
1 medium purple onion, diced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 cup dried currants
2 shallots, finely diced
1 10 oz pkg frozen peas, thawed and blanched for 3 min.
1/2 cup coarsely chopped calamata olives
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper

Once cooked transfer rice to large bowl and toss with the dressing. Add remaining ingredients, toss well, add salt and pepper as needed or additional dressing. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and bring to room temp prior to serving.This is where the recipe ends and I get a little crazy... I did not have Ken's Greek Dressing, so I made some with olive oil, red wine vinegar and garlic... I added roasted asparagus the first time I made it, instead of peas. Then I made it with couscous instead of rice...the dill tasted stronger, but that may be because it had aged in the fridge....the next time I'll make it with orzo... I did not have currants, maybe I'll try raisins... I love this salad it is versatile and delicious!

Last edited:
this looks really good c'tina. i like your modifications too. i think i would prefer the orzo and asparagus.

How about a Greek salad?

Seeded tomatoes, chopped
Seeded cukes, chopped
red or sweet onions chopped
green pepper, chopped
salt, pepper, oregano, vinegar and olive oil
with Feta crumbled on top and some sliced olives on the side??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom