Tomato Salad-rec.ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
With tomatoes peaking now and just bursting with sweetness and juice, we have been using them every day. Sometimes at breakfast and lunch but mostly at supper time. I plan to make them this way for tonight:
Slice up 4-6 large tomatoes, mince 4 cloves of garlic and about 3-4 tab. of fresh Italian parsley. Place the tomato slices on a platter or large plate and sprinkle the parsley, garlic over them. Don't put them in the refrigerator.Drissle the whole thing with your best evoo and slat and pepper, let sit at least 10 minutes, but not longer than an hour to mingle the flavors.
You can if you like scatter 1/2-c. of a grated hard cheese, like dry-jack or parmesan over the tomatoes after the evoo has been put on them. or use fresh mozzarella and basil,put down a tomato, then a slice of mozzarella, then, dress with evoo and sprinkle the top with the basil that you've cut into thin strips.
or:for my friends the anchovy lovers:LOL: soak 6-8 anchovies in 2 tab. of vinegar about 20 min. Slice a small red onion in rings, and place onion rings on tomato slices, add some minced parsley and oregano and add to your evoo, cut the anchovies in half the long way making two strips, now cube some feta and scatter it over the tomatoes and onion rings, add a 1/2 c. of your favorite black olives to this, drape the anchovies accross the top then add the evoo and some salt and pepper...
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Thanks Piccolina,
I adore tomatoes and hate not having them during the winter. I can tolerate the little grape tomatoes for salads then, but come summer, I make tomato salads several times a day if even for just me:LOL:
kadesma

I LOVE tomatoes, too!! Can't get enough of 'em in the summer time. Breakfast, lunch and supper :LOL: Thanks, kades, for the ideas! Can't go wrong with fresh mozz and basil.

Kadesma, those sure are some yummy sounding things to do with a glut of tomato's! I adore them and have been know to drive a considerable distance just to get a kilo or so of a certain variety. I guess the lesson here is to grow my own, used to, but its finding time. :ermm: :(

A favourite way to use tomato's is with Pitta Bread Salad ( Fattoush) Does not use many, but the ripeness and flavour of the toms are paramount to this tasting superb.

For the Salad

2 Regular size Pitta Breads
6inch piece of unpeeled Cucumber ( I prefer Lebanese) cut into 1/2 " cubes
2 Large Tomato's skinned and cut into 1/2 " cubes
4 Spring Onions ( Scallions) thinly sliced and use the green part also
6 Tbsps Roughly Chopped Italian Parsley
2 Heaped Tbsps freshly chopped Mint
1 Medium size Cos Lettuce cut into 1/2 " strips
1 Medium size Red Onion finely chopped
1 Capsicum deseeded and chopped small ( you choose colour)

The Dressing

150 mls Olive Oil, whatever grade you prefer
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
4 Tbsps Lemon Juice
Zest of 1 Lemon

Combine the vegetables and herbs in a large salad bowl and toss together lightly. In another small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients and whisk well. Season well also. Spoon over salad and toss again.
Toast the pitta bread under a very hot grill until it is really crisp. Cut into small squares, scatter over salad and toss once more. Adjust seasoning if required and serve right away. :)

Another favourite ( and I am SO envying you having a hot summer right now!!) is roasted Roma's with a hint of sugar, salt and pepper, fresh thyme with EVOO drizzled over. Baked until edges char at 170 degrees, around 1 1/2 hours. I know roasted Toms are well known but using Roma's is a bit special.
Then there are roasted capsicum 1/2's ( not green) with 2 or 3 skinned tomato quarters inside them, an anchovy fillet or two, a scattering of garlic, a dust of fresh ground pepper and a good drizzle of EVOO. Shallow roasting pan ( as for previous way to roast toms) 180 deg for around an hour. Just make sure they are on a high shelf. Serve warm or room temp with a scatter of fresh torn basil leaves and heaps of bread to mop up the juice.

:rolleyes: And I want some now!

Lynan said:
Kadesma, those sure are some yummy sounding things to do with a glut of tomato's! I adore them and have been know to drive a considerable distance just to get a kilo or so of a certain variety. I guess the lesson here is to grow my own, used to, but its finding time. :ermm: :(

A favourite way to use tomato's is with Pitta Bread Salad ( Fattoush) Does not use many, but the ripeness and flavour of the toms are paramount to this tasting superb.

For the Salad

2 Regular size Pitta Breads
6inch piece of unpeeled Cucumber ( I prefer Lebanese) cut into 1/2 " cubes
2 Large Tomato's skinned and cut into 1/2 " cubes
4 Spring Onions ( Scallions) thinly sliced and use the green part also
6 Tbsps Roughly Chopped Italian Parsley
2 Heaped Tbsps freshly chopped Mint
1 Medium size Cos Lettuce cut into 1/2 " strips
1 Medium size Red Onion finely chopped
1 Capsicum deseeded and chopped small ( you choose colour)

The Dressing

150 mls Olive Oil, whatever grade you prefer
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
4 Tbsps Lemon Juice
Zest of 1 Lemon

Combine the vegetables and herbs in a large salad bowl and toss together lightly. In another small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients and whisk well. Season well also. Spoon over salad and toss again.
Toast the pitta bread under a very hot grill until it is really crisp. Cut into small squares, scatter over salad and toss once more. Adjust seasoning if required and serve right away. :)

Another favourite ( and I am SO envying you having a hot summer right now!!) is roasted Roma's with a hint of sugar, salt and pepper, fresh thyme with EVOO drizzled over. Baked until edges char at 170 degrees, around 1 1/2 hours. I know roasted Toms are well known but using Roma's is a bit special.
Then there are roasted capsicum 1/2's ( not green) with 2 or 3 skinned tomato quarters inside them, an anchovy fillet or two, a scattering of garlic, a dust of fresh ground pepper and a good drizzle of EVOO. Shallow roasting pan ( as for previous way to roast toms) 180 deg for around an hour. Just make sure they are on a high shelf. Serve warm or room temp with a scatter of fresh torn basil leaves and heaps of bread to mop up the juice.

:rolleyes: And I want some now!
Lynan, ME too!!!
wow, you got me down pat:) Love the tomato salad with the toasted pita on it..Will be doing that soon, maybe tomorrow :LOL:
I did a tray of the roma tomatoes about 2 months ago and they didn't last long. The roma's developed a sweetness that I don't find in other roasted tomatoes. My DH, loved them on sandwiches, but would go eat several before bed each night..He's been asking me when I plan to make some more:ohmy:
I really like the peppers with tomato and anchovie idea..Ilove each one, but pairing them this way never occured to me...Thank you...

kadesma

callie said:
I LOVE tomatoes, too!! Can't get enough of 'em in the summer time. Breakfast, lunch and supper :LOL: Thanks, kades, for the ideas! Can't go wrong with fresh mozz and basil.
Hi Callie, glad you like the ideas..I had wedged tomatoes with breakfast this morning..I love eggs, bacon and fried potatoes and tomatoe wedges..Yummy:) Dinner I was alone so I just topped several slices of fresh Italian bread with tomatoe slices, thin slied onion ring and sprinkled on slat and pepper and evoo..It was perfect with ice tea. I'm tired tonight the kids kept me busy, and little Carson whom I love dearly was a devil child today. he is cutting upper molars and he wants to press his two front teeth into my hand, my knee, my cheek, if he isn't doing that he bites and boy he has me black and blue...It makes me want to cry, but I have been making him sit in a chair for a minute or so each time, but boy can he give ya the big tears:LOL: It just turns me into mush!! Phooey, hopefully, he will grow out of it or I might be forced to pull his teeth:ROFLMAO: J/K Back on topic...I think the mozz, tomato and basil combo is my favorite of all..I do like to add some avocado to that though..we all love that..

kadesma

Summer-ripe tomatoes are wonderful.
Try this silly little "antipasto" for a starter:
(this will serve 4 people)...
2 smallish bell peppers, red or yellow, cut in half, deseeded but NOT de-stalked!
8 anchovies
4 black olives, pitted and halved
2 fresh, ripe, red,juicy tomatoes, diced and salted
2 tsps freshly chopped basil
1/2 tsp tiny capers per person
EVOO
Freshly ground black pepper

Set the grill (Broiler?) to maximum and leave for 5-10 minutes. Mix the tomatoes with the chopped basil .
Into the middle of each pepper half place the anchovies. Top with 1 black olive, halved, then add 1/4 of the tomato mixture. Top with 1/2 tsp capers, and freshly ground black pepper. Do all the pepper halves this way, then drizzle generously with EVOO.

Place in the oven (under the grill) for about 5-10 minutes, until the edges of the pepper are charred.
Serve.

Wow, a whole family of tomato lovers! Thanks for the great hints, would like to try the tomato platter tonight as we're supposed to have a ton of rain :( and I've got tomatoes waiting.
Thanks!
Lisa

Okay, didn't wait for tonight, had it for lunch. Absolutely delicious and fresh tasting.
Two things I would never have thought of: "let flavors mingle" and "tomatoes for breakfast".
Thanks Kadesma,
Lisa

Aunt Lisa's Kitchen said:
Okay, didn't wait for tonight, had it for lunch. Absolutely delicious and fresh tasting.
Two things I would never have thought of: "let flavors mingle" and "tomatoes for breakfast".
Thanks Kadesma,
Lisa
You're very welcome Lisa:) My dad got me to eat tomatoes for breakfast and since I'm lazy I get my tomatoes ready and dressed ahead of time and found out they tasted better..So glad you enjoyed the recipe.
kadesma:)

Last edited:
Aunt Lisa's Kitchen said:
Lazyness has it's virtues! PS. Had the tomatoes for dinner too! :-p
Lisa
All right, you're a girl after my own heart:LOL: I could eat tomatoes twice a day or more...I just had some toast toppped with some sliced tomato for dinner..It tasted so good...I just might have one more:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom