Tortellini, Tomato, Salmon Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Tortellini, Tomato, Salmon Salad

1 package (16 to 19 oz.) refrigerated tortellini (flavor/filling of choice - i.e. cheese, mushroom, spinach or combination of flavors)
2 cups broccoli
1 can (14.75 oz.) salmon, skinless, boneless, drained and chunked (fresh is best)
1 small tomato, seeded and diced or 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut up
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup red onions, diced
8 oz. Italian dressing

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain; rinse in cold water. Transfer to large bowl. Microwave broccoli on HIGH 1-2 minutes, add to pasta. Stir in salmon, tomato, cheese, onion and dressing. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

Optional: Add cooked, crumbled bacon.
Variations: Halfed cherry tomatoes (in place of tomato), cheese of choice - sharp cheddar, etc.

HB and I are going to cook a salmon fillet for supper tonight, and we always have about 1/3 of it left. I'm going to try your recipe with the leftover...

As always, it sounds delish, Mish!

Thanks, Constance. Fresh is always better. This recipe is very adaptable to different ingredients. You could try a caesar dressing, or shrimp/crab. You could omit the seafood and just have a veg/tortellini salad. I'm guessing this could be doubled if you wanted to do a big party dish served cold... I might toss in some herbed croutons :) Another thought, the salad may soak up a lot of dressing. Use perhaps half now and half before serving.

I really like Italian Dressing on my pasta salad, Mish, but I'm sure the Ceasar would be good too. You are right about the pasta soaking up a lot of dressing. I have discovered that I actually prefer to use a can of diced tomatoes with their juice instead of, or in addition to the others...the juice from the canned tomatoes really adds a lot of flavor to the pasta.

That's a good idea, Constance. Thank you. :) I made another cold pasta dish with shrimp, and the dressing seemed to evaporate. I also want to try Texas' broccoli salad... so I may see if the tortellini would work there too.

Mich, it turned out that HB wasn't in the mood for pasta salad, so I just skipped the vinegar, and made a hot meal out of it. It was wonderful yesterday, and today I pan-seared some little sweet bay scallops in a little butter/olive oil and poured over the leftover pasta.

Oh my! It was so good!

I do think our best cooking comes from using what we have on hand, and our imagination. When you get all our heads together, we come up with all sorts of good stuff!

:chef:

I am so glad you enjoyed it, Constance. Great minds think alike. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom